45

LOU'S POV:

I left Nicole's room after a while. She needed to get into her pajamas and finish part of an essay, and I had to get back home. She thanked me again for the muffins and I told her to call me if she needed assistance with her lesbianism, to which she laughed.

I meant to call Diane to pick me up, but I decided to take a long walk home. I felt like I needed a second to think things over, to breathe, and to daydream about the approaching Thanksgiving break.

A man walked out of my house. My mother gave him a hug before he walked away from my porch into a red car parked in front of our house. Who was he?

I watched my mother wave as the car drove away, and waited until she closed the door to walk all the way to the door.

I opened the door with my keys and found my mother in the kitchen. Two glasses of wine on the kitchen island. One half empty and the other one empty.

The half empty had my mother's signature lipstick color, signaling that it was her glass.

Nancy, my mother, was washing the dishes. She had changed her outfit. She was wearing a tight black skirt along with the sexy grey blouse she used on special occasions, such as graduations, ceremonies, and such.

"Mom?"

She turned around with a jump. Apparently I startled her.

"What are you doing all dressed up?" I asked.

"You're back!" She changed the theme, "I thought you were staying a while longer."

I frowned. "You're avoiding my question. You were having a date while I was gone?!"

"Fuck. You saw him leave, right?"

I nodded.

"Yeah. It was sort of a last minute date. He... uh, well, Hank called and asked if I wanted to meet up before his trip tomorrow, I said yes, and told him to come over."

"That's who you were texting then... did you tell 'Hank' we almost burned a dozen muffins because of him?"

"You hate me for this?" She asked. Her eyes showed me she was concerned.

I raised my eyebrows in confusion, "Why would I?"

"You know why..."

Dad.

"I have to admit I do feel a bit guilty seeing other men after him... but it's been years and I'm lonely."

"I understand."

"You do?"

"Yeah." I said. A small smile on my lips.

My mom smiled, "Thank you." I could hear the upcoming sobbing from her.

Mom walked towards me and wrapped me in her arms. I relaxed in her grasp and hugged her back eventually.

"Can I spend Thanksgivings break with a friend?" I asked awkwardly.

"A friend?"

"Yes. A friend." I said, trying to sound relaxed and not suspicious.

Thank goodness my mother was still hugging me because if she looked at the blush on my cheeks she would have never said ...

"Okay."

*

DIANE'S POV:

"Thanksgiving break mission is completed." Her voice surprised me.

"Shh." I immediately looked at her with a bit of horror, to shut her up, to remind her our setting was not ideal.