46

DIANE'S POV:

"So you fought over stupid shit." Sarah giggled out loud.

I groaned, "It wasn't stupid shit!" I zipped my skirt.

"It was stupid shit, Diane." Sarah finished her eyeshadow and turned around to stare at me with that smug little smirk I knew too well. "You're too protective."

"And that makes me the bad guy? Protecting her?!" I ran a hand through my hair.

"It does, actually. You almost moved back to Boston to 'protect' her, so..."

"That was a one time thing." I defended myself and watched Sarah laugh her ass off.

She shook her head. Sarah's face morphed back into the sad little puppy eyes she had had the whole morning.

"I guess she didn't get to tell you that she found me and Nicole kissing." She said.

My eyes widened. Sarah just tilted her head to the side while she stared at my amusement.

"Nick was furious that I'd invited you to the wedding instead of her," Sarah smiled.

"Fuck now I feel like an awful girlfriend." I sighed, "she didn't even find the time to tell me what happened because I screwed it up by being so dramatic."

"You were looking out for her, but maybe you should let Lou look out for herself once in a while." She advised, and didn't speak about her relationship with Nicole ever again for the next hours.

We drove to the ceremony that happened to be in a large beautiful land that belonged to some hotel and golf club. We sat in our respective seats.

It was a beautiful wedding themed Moroccan, with vivid colors and flowing fabrics. There were rugs on top of the grass, and the chairs were covered in a beige and violet fabric.

Sarah had chosen to wear a black strapless dress down to her knees, along with a smokey eye makeup and matte lipstick; I chose a cream top with a cream long skirt that started on my waist and finished just above my ankles, the fabric was flowing, just like the decoration at the wedding, almost like I had dressed specially for this theme. I had a bit of eyeliner and nude lipstick, but nothing too glamorous.

My mind kept going back to my conversation with Lou, and every time I cringed more and more at my mama bear instinct to roar at any little threat. I needed to protect my baby bear the most, but I kept failing to realize by baby bear knew how to fight their own battles and roar on their own.

Stupid analogy, I know.

But my mama bear senses were activated again when I saw her and her together.

"Why is Lou here?" Sarah asked in a whisper.

I looked away from her and Allie, "I have no idea. I didn't tell her about this wedding."

"What?" Sarah whisper-yelled at me.

Fuck.

I had forgotten we were supposed to work on our communication.

I looked down to my lap and tried to erase the imagine of Lou dressed in that blue gown standing next to Allison.

"I'm a jerk, Sarah. I need to get my life together, I swear I can't be more of a screw-up." I sighed, the anxiety evident on my hands playing with my jewelry, tracing my Aaron ring.

"Relax. Maybe we should just go refresh our makeup." Sarah suggested, grabbing my hand and walking me away from our seats.

People were talking and discussing the decoration while the guests kept arriving. The bride's and groom's parents were already there and everybody went to say their congratulations, of course.