48

DIANE'S POV:

After the wedding and our reconciliation I did the one thing I had been afraid of doing ever since my damn doctor cancelled on me because of his son's soccer game: I found myself another doctor.

Something had been wrong with me for a couple weeks now, and I wanted to be sure I wasn't dying anytime soon.

I was sitting in an exam table, my butt cheeks cold against the rigid mattress. I was playing anxiously with my ring waiting for someone to show up and tell me what else to do. I was nervous and I felt a bit relieved that I had told Lou about my appointment; it felt good that I had decided to be brave and let her know what was going on instead of throwing a bomb at her later.

I had made a promise to work on my communication and that's what I was doing. I didn't specify I was going to have a woman look at my lady parts, but maybe I was going to share the details later.

She had replied with a lovely text saying good luck babe! ily :)

Finally the door opened, "Hi Miss, I'm Linda."

"Nice meeting you Linda, call me Diane." I said nicely.

"Okay, Diane. I'll need you to answer a few routine questions before seeing Doctor Porter."

I nodded my head. I was already feeling a little humiliated because I had to ask another nurse to tie my hospital gown just a few moments ago, so I was ready for whatever question I had to answer regarding my health.

"So, why are you here today?" Linda sat down in a chair a few meters away from the exam table.

"I... well, I've been odd for the past few weeks, I fainted, I act all like not myself and... I thought maybe it has something to do with hormones, so I called my gyro, but his son is more important than his patients, so now I'm here..." I rambled while I kept playing with my ring.

I was aware of my rambling, and also of the blush that was taking over my cheeks. I could be a badass everywhere else but the doctor's office.

"Uh. Okay." Linda nodded, probably a bit annoyed by my rambling, "What are the symptoms you've experienced?"

"Dizziness, like I said, I fainted. There's been some nausea, migraines... uh, mood swings I guess, I have a hard time falling asleep, and I used to fall asleep right away. Is fatigue a symptom?"

"Yeah, yes." Linda gave me a slight nod and kept writing down in a little note pad she had sitting on her lap.

I cleared my throat, "Then I guess fatigue and sometimes I get all sweaty out of nowhere, even when it's cold, and..."

"And?"

"A bit too much libido." I smiled awkwardly.

"Okay. Anything else?"

I started playing with my ring again, "I've been late, you know, for my period."

"How many days late?"

"About ten days." I replied.

Linda nodded, "Miss Williams, is there any chance that you could be pregnant?" I cringed at the question and the name that my students used with me.

"Oh no. No." I shook my head and let out a small laugh, because this question reminded me of the 'magical fingers' joke I had with Lou.

Linda nodded, "Have you been sexually active?"

"Yes."

"Then I think maybe we should do some bloodwork to see if there's any chance you are pregnant."

"I am not pregnant." I insisted, doing my best to keep my tone light.

Linda's eyebrows furrowed, "But you just said..."

"Last time I checked, my girlfriend doesn't have a penis... so no, not pregnant." I cut off Linda and pursed my lips into a somewhat apologetic smile.

"I'm a lesbian." I clarified.

Linda gave me a firm nod, her jaw dropped but quickly she got a hold of herself, "Alright then, have you ever been pregnant?" She asked, now looking down to her note pad and not daring to look up to my eyes. "I have to ask." She said.

I looked down to the ring that I wore every day and sighed with a bit of sadness, "Yes, once. I was nineteen, it ended in miscarriage at twenty weeks."

Linda's eyes looked up to me, and compassion took over her. "I'm sorry to hear that," she said, and squeezed my knee to comfort me.

I sniffled, "It fine. Uh, do you have any tissues?" I pivoted a smile meanwhile tears threatened to spill down my cheeks.

I had worked on the 'Aaron issue' for the past years, so I was certain some hormonal monster inside of me was making me cry, because I knew I could handle the subject with an emotionless face.

Linda practically flew out the exam room and came back in record time with a box of Kleenex. I blowed my nose and dried my tears away. I pulled myself together and finished answering all the questions the petite redhead had for me.

"Doctor Porter is probably going to ask you to get some blood drawn, in that case your bloodwork results should be ready for tomorrow morning." The nurse told me, "Now I'll go find her and you can wait in here, alright? It will be just a minute."

It was ten minutes waiting.

Doctor Porter entered the exam room with a smile on her face. She was taller than I imagined, and she had beautiful olive skin, was very sympathetic, and was happy to get to know a new patient, a new face. She was married and had three children, and made me feel less of a freak because of my symptoms, and she kept assuring she was going to do her best to treat me well.

"Linda asked about your fertility, didn't she?"

"Uh, yeah." I bit the inside of my cheek. This exact topic of conversation was the other reason why I hated the gynecologist... just the constant reminder that women can't impregnate other women.

"Here it says you had a pregnancy a few years ago."

I nodded my head, "Mhmm."

"Has anyone in your family had any issues with fertility?" She put on her glasses and wrote something over Linda's notes.

"No, not that I know of." I shrugged my shoulders.

Doctor Porter nodded and then told me to get a seat on the damn chair I shouldn't have been so afraid of. I felt my hands start to shake a bit.

And then I had to get ready to get a fucking transvaginal ultrasound. I hated those. It's not like I was afraid of getting anything in there, I actually quite enjoyed it, but it felt strange when it was in a 'medical manner'.

Doctor Porter kept asking if I was comfortable, and even if I wasn't, I kept saying I was.

She took a look around and told me my uterus seemed to be in good shape, but she wasn't so sure about my endometrium so the blood work would help to know if there was something going on with my hormones, which was what I wanted to find out as well.

But then Doctor Porter frowned at the monitor, and I knew that couldn't be good.