56

DIANE'S POV:

I sat down on the familiar chair and started playing with my ring. I was fucking tired. I was full of rage and tiredness inside me, and the urge of crying came every two minutes like a bullet. I sat down on the chair I was signaled to, and of course I just wanted to stand up and walk away from the room.

I had barely slept last night and now that I had finally made it to work I had to sit here and waste time while a dumb substitute must be taking over my class.

"Apparently you're gonna have to get used to my office if you keep up this behavior, Miss Williams."

He sounded like one of those pervert republican white men, like Mr. White from high school when I was sent to his office for not wearing a bra underneath my shirt, apparently not only my shoulders were distracting but the lack of fabric suffocating my breasts.

I put on a polite smile, "Look, I agreed with your decision to change Jensen's elective, but I never said I would stop being helpful to my students." I shrugged my shoulders trying to keep cool.

Mr. Garner took a sip of what seemed to be coffee but smelled harder than that, of course. Probably bourbon.

"I think it was an unspoken agreement that you would take your distance."

"Why would I? I'm not doing anything wrong. Jensen's sister called me this morning and asked if I could drive her to school because she was running late, that was all."

"I'm not an idiot." The older man said.

I raised my eyebrows at him, crossed my arms over my chest and looked at him, "I didn't intend you were."     ...but you are.

"Look, Diane. Can I call you Diane?" He tilted his head to the side, as if he was not sure if I was going to say yes to that question.

"If you wish."  No you can't.

"Diane... A few parents heard about the whole situation. You showing up in your car with a student isn't really a good thing for the reputation of the school."

"It wasn't even at school." I said defensively, but keeping cool.

He pursed his lips, "A block away, but still close enough."

I rolled my eyes, "I'll keep it in mind."

Nicole didn't call me for a damn thing. Lou called her mom early this morning telling her she left early to school, when actually she had spent the night with me after that stupid dinner.

Garner let me out of his damn office and then I went back to sitting down with Patricia. I corrected a few exams while she ate her lunch.

"Honey, can I ask you something?" The older woman asked.

I looked at the woman, "Of course."

"Is it true what people are saying?" Her eyebrows frowned in concern.

Yes, I'm in love with one of my students.

"Oh God, don't listen to that gossip." I scoffed, and tried to act as if it was absurd, "You know I have a girlfriend, I told you about her." I said, "Jensen is like a little sister to me."

"Alright. I was just worried about you." Patricia said.

I tapped my fingers on the surface of the table we were sharing, "You don't have to. I mean, you know the girl has had a bad year. Apparently kindness gets confused with something else." I said and rolled my eyes.

"I'm sorry that lady reported you, I knew you wouldn't be able to do something like that."

"Thanks Pat." I said, forcing a smile on my lips.