61

tw: mention of sexual assault

DIANE'S POV:

"I haven't slept in three nights." I said on the phone.

And it was true. I was happy Christmas break was approaching because I needed a rest.

"So you're calling desperately for my help?"

I slapped my forehead, "Yes I am." I bit the inside of my cheek, annoyed at my mother's smart ass comment. - "Who's your best colleague?" I bit my lip anxiously.

"I'll send you their phone number, sweetheart. Uh... thank you for trusting me." My mom said on the phone.

Kids and teenagers walked past me in the corridor while I held my phone to my ear.

"I'm desperate, remember?" I said, faking a smile for the students that walked by and waved.

"Right." Jillian responded and then took a deep breath, "Are you coming to my wedding?"

"Mom, please don't." I said.

"I'm sending you an invite anyways, just think about it."

Soon I hanged up, turned around and saw Lou and her friend Allie by their lockers, talking.

I was happy Lou found friendship in her, even if it worried me the possibility of her getting hurt.

hey D! it's Andy. Sarah gave me your number, I hope u don't mind. wanna meet tonight? I'd like to have a word with u. I was kind of an asshole when I went to see u. completely forgot it was ur bday, too. I'll wait for a reply. X :)

The bell rung and I turned around to enter my classroom. I wanted to slap myself for never telling Sarah why Andy was not back home with me that summer.

Then when I talked about Virginia Woolf in front of the class I wished Laura could be sitting there too, listening as I explained Virginia's 'friendship' with Vita Sackville-West (I kind of wanted to explain that they were actually lesbian lovers and that Virginia basically attempted to kill herself because she couldn't get Vita to love her and only her).

Soon the bell rung again and I was just as excited as my students for the class to end.

I'd very much appreciate it if you didn't give away my personal information. Thank you. I texted Sarah.

- damn. moody much?

+ Fuck you.

- I just gave your friend your number, I didn't commit a crime lol

+ You should have asked me about it first.

- relax dee

+ They want to meet with me.

- are u meeting? they seemed so happy to get to contact u...

+ It's complicated. If they come to you looking for me please don't say a word. I'm gonna meet them just to tell them to fuck off.

- im confused dee. wtf do u mean by that

+ I'll explain. Drinks tonight?

- if u buy, then yes. otherwise I'll be helping Nicole to pack.

+ She's leaving?!

- long story.

*

I sipped my martini with urgency while I tapped my fingers on the wood of the table I was sitting at. I looked around again, hoping I could get this over with faster than I thought it would take. No sight of them.