13

"It's fascinating, isn't it?" Ashley asked, adjusting her glasses.

"You don't get tired of the glasses?" I asked her, gesturing to her reading glasses.

Ashley was nice... yeah, but to be honest I had never spoken to her in the last few years. We had been together in middle school and sometimes we had play dates, I recall. She was smart and sweet, wasn't a nerd but she wasn't popular. I had to have her as my biology partner for the next two weeks. Yay, lab time! She seemed very into all about the brain. Me on the other hand? I was a nerd for other things.

We were sitting in the middle of the carpet of her bedroom, it was grey and fluffy and she had all these One Direction posters around her room. She was pretty, had nice eyes and her room smelled nice - not like Diane's place, but nice.

"You could try using contacts" I suggested.

Ashley giggled, "I've tried. Got traumatized after one of those went in the back of my eye and we had to go to the ER while I cried like a baby in the backseat... so, it's not really my thing."

I nodded, "Is Harry your boyfriend?" I asked, pointing at her open notebook where it said "Ashley + Harry".

Ashley laughed out loud and nodded her head no, "I wish he was. He's the main singer of One Direction."

I nodded in understanding, "How about you? You've got a boyfriend? Ah, I mean, girlfriend." Ashley asked.

I cringed at how she had to correct herself, "Not really." I shrugged my shoulders.

"I heard you were with a teacher once."

"What?!" My eyes widened, the panic increasing within me.

"Uh, but it was like two years ago. Everybody had said you gave Mr. Garner a blow job."

"Ahh, yeah. I remember that rumor." I laughed and sighed in relief. At the time Maya had stood up for myself to those stupid seniors, and even if I was incredibly grateful she had done that for me, we still got in a fight.

"Do you like anybody then?" Ashley asked, to which I cringed but I also thought of Diane instantly.

I felt my cheeks burning up. I mentally flash-backed to Sunday morning, her and I in bed snuggling. We had set boundaries in our relationship.

For some reason the word Boundaries sounded quite scary to me, since I had never encountered "setting boundaries" with anybody before.

Diane Williams had become my first lover ever... and yes I loved saying that word.

We had set up ways to meet each other, I would go visit Nicole and she'd pick me up, I would stay late at the library and we would spend time together, and I would manage to go to her place once in a while.

But public places were off the list, and during school time we couldn't interact far more than teacher-student relationship. We had agreed I wouldn't take any more lifts from Diane, unless it was an emergency. And we had also agreed to not push each other into the damn janitor's closet.

We could be together as long as it was privately and away from everyone else's eyes.

It sucked, but it was better than having to forget about her and learn how to live my life without having her near me.

And of course, we couldn't tell anybody about us.

"Like a crush? uh, yeah, well... it's a pretty surreal crush." I said.

"Really? Who is it?"

"Mazzy Star."

"Who's that? Is she in our class?"

"No! She's a very good singer. She's like, amazing." I said giggling.

"Agh, but that's a celebrity crush, I'm talking about real crushes. Do you have one?"

"She... well, she's sweet. But she's way out of my league, I feel lucky she exists."

"What's her name?"

"Mazzy Star." I said as Ashley rolled her eyes at me.

"You're no fun, Lou." Ashley said, but still smiled at me because I AM FUN.

"I am, actually."

Ashley closed her notebook and took off her glasses. She took a couple silent seconds to stare at my face before asking, "So... what's like kissing a girl?"

I scoffed, "Uh, I guess it's like any other kiss."

"You've only kissed girls?" Ashley asked again.

"What's with all these questions?! Who do you work for?"

She laughed at me and rolled her eyes. I saw a little blush on her cheeks and a smile forming on her lips, "You're so annoying."

"Yes. Ive only kissed girls." I said, watching her expression change into uncertainty, "I swear."

"Okay."

"Have you kissed... anybody?" I asked her. I really hoped she wouldn't take it the wrong way. It's not like she was ugly or unpleasant, she was actually very pretty, but still I couldn't imagine her kissing anybody. Ashley was too angelic for that.

"I have. Uh... last year, Emilio Jones kissed me after he had won his race. It was nice."

I nodded, "So you've never kissed a girl."

She shook her head no and looked down to her lap.

I had spoken "boundaries" with Diane, sure, of course, yes... but we never spoke about being exclusive (?); for all I knew she could have been fucking Sarah right at that moment... yeah I was a little jealous.

Still.

I bit my lip and took a deep breath before grabbing Ashley's chin, making her to look up to my eyes as I leaned in and pecked her lips.

She kissed me back, and then opened her lips slightly so I could kiss them again.

Then I stopped before it could go any further, "Any difference?"

"Well, knowing that it was from a female... yes. It was..."

"Nice?" I mocked her.

Ashley giggled, "Nicer. Definitely nicer."

Finally it was time to go home. Thank God I had gotten Ashley as my lab partner, it was easy to work with her... but maybe after tonight things would get a little complicated.