Chapter 116

Kreacher's Tale

            There was a loud crack and the house-elf appeared out of nowhere in front of the cold and empty fireplace: tiny, half human-sized, his pale skin hanging off him in folds, white hair sprouting copiously from his batlike ears. He was still wearing the filthy rag in which I had first met him.

"Mistress Renee," croaked Kreacher in his bullfrog's voice, and he bowed low, muttering to his knees, "back in Master Regulus' house with the blood traitor Weasley and the Mudblood —"

"I forbid you to call anyone 'blood traitor' or 'Mudblood,' Kreacher." I ordered angrily. Merlin, why is this elf so bitter.

"As you wish, Miss Renee," answered Kreacher.

                "I've got a question for you," I said, my heart now hammering against my ribs in nervousness, "there was a big gold locket in the drawing room upstairs. They threw it out. Did you steal it back?"

                There was a moment's silence, during which Kreacher straightened up to look at me full in the face. Then he said, "Yes."

                "Where is it now?" I asked jubilantly as Ron, Harry and Hermione looked gleeful.

                Kreacher closed his eyes as though he could not bear to see our reactions to his next word.

                "Gone."

                "Gone?" echoed Harry, elation flooding out of him. "What do you mean, it's gone?"

                The elf shivered. He swayed.

                "Kreacher," I said fiercely at the house elf, "I order you —"

                "Mundungus Fletcher," croaked the elf, his eyes still tight shut. "Mundungus Fletcher stole it all: Miss Bella's and Miss Cissy's pictures, my Mistress's gloves, the Order of Merlin, First Class, the goblets with the family crest, and — and —"

                Kreacher was gulping for air: His hollow chest was rising and falling rapidly, then his eyes flew open and he uttered a blood curdling scream.

                "— and the locket, Master Regulus's locket, Kreacher did wrong, Kreacher failed in his orders!"

Everyone reacted instinctively: As Kreacher lunged for the poker standing in the grate, Harry launched himself upon the elf, flattening him. Hermione's scream mingled with Kreacher's, but I bellowed louder than the both of them. "Kreacher, I order you to stay still!" I bellowed.

                The elf freezed and Harry released him. Kreacher lay flat on the cold stone floor, tears gushing from his sagging eyes.

                "Harry, let him up!" said Hermione, obviously pitying the house elf but Harry did not move. "Agape, tell him!"

                "So he can beat himself up with the poker?" I snorted. "I don't think so. Right, Kreacher, I want the truth: How do you know Mundungus Fletcher stole the locket?" I asked the house elf.

                "Kreacher saw him!" gasped the elf as tears poured over his snout and into his mouth full of graying teeth. "Krecher saw him coming out of Kreacher's cupboard with his hands full of Kreacher's treasure. Kreacher told the sneak thief to stop, but Mundungus Fletcher laughed and r-ran...."