Chapter 80

The Whimpers of the Boy Who Had No Choice

                A few weeks have passed, I spent it training the Hufflepuff Quidditch team of course for the upcoming match against the Ravenclaw. A bit sad for Linda isn't participating for she's still at St. Mungo's. "Hey, Summerby!" I called Summerby who was heading in the Divination classroom. He jumped in shock.

                "Gave me a little scare there. Afternoon, Black." He greeted me back with his hand on his chest, stopping on his way in the Divination classroom.

                "I was wondering if you want to substitute for Linda in the match against Ravenclaw next week." I uttered patiently waiting for his response.

                "Yes! Of course, thank you." Said Maynard, so excited that he hugged me in joy. "Oh, sorry, uhm so when is the practice?" he asked as he pulled away.

                "Tomorrow, after dinner." I informed him, he smiled and thanked me once again before we both made our way to Professor Trelawney's classroom.

                We climbed the silver stepladder that led to a circular trapdoor in the ceiling, and the room where Professor Trelawney lived.

                The familiar sweet perfume spreading from the fire met our nostrils as we emerged at the top of the stepladder. As ever, the curtains were all closed; the circular room was bathed in a dim reddish light cast by the many lamps, which were all draped with scarves and shawls. Maynard and I walked through the mass of occupied chintz chairs and poufs that cluttered the room, and we sat down at the same small circular table. And there glowing on every little table was a crystal ball full of pearly white mist.

                "Good day to you," said the misty voice of Professor Trelawney right behind Summerby and me, making us jump.

                The same very thin woman with enormous glasses that made her eyes appear far too large for her face, Professor Trelawney was peering down at me with the tragic expression she always wore whenever she sees me. The usual large amount of beads, chains, and bangles glittered upon her person in the firelight.

                "B-bonjour, Professor." I greeted her back, stuttering because of the shock that she gave me. Professor Trelawney swept past us and seated herself in a large winged armchair before the fire, facing the class.

                "I have decided to introduce the crystal ball this year," said Professor Trelawney, sitting with her back to the fire and gazing around. "Crystal gazing is a particularly refined art," she said dreamily. "I do not expect any of you to see when first you peer into the Orb's infinite depths. We shall start by practicing relaxing the conscious mind and external eyes" she uttered, "so as to clear the Inner Eye and the super conscious. Perhaps, if we are lucky, some of you will see before the end of the class."

                And so we began. Summerby and I were staring blankly at the crystal ball, trying to keep our minds empty. "Seen anything yet?" asked Summerby after a quarter of an hour's quiet crystal gazing.

                "Not yet, you?" I asked him back and he shook his head for an answer.

                The class ended with no one in the class being able to successfully do the crystal gazing, not even me, well to be fair I didn't even try so yeah. "See you at Quidditch practice!" said Maynard as he waved goodbye and went down the marble staircase. I raised my hand and waved until he disappeared out of sight.