passions and pediatricians

wc 1.5k

 Growing up, you were always lost on what you would do with your life. You'd seen friends and family discover their passions, the very reason they live and exist.. Time and time again, you thought you came close to finding out your own, but each path was a dead end, each lead and false tip.

That was, until you volunteered at a children's hospital that one winter break your parents were away on business. A light flicker inside you, and you knew that was what you were meant to do. Leaving the hospital that day, you pulled up your browsers and stayed up in bed until three A.M., researching and reading about all the doctors that helped children. Perhaps it was your fire, burning so bright and passionately, that granted you access, that paved your path to college and a career for life. Or perhaps it was your heart, loving and nurturing and relentless. It never gave up when something it loved came into view. You knew deep down, in your gut, that it was a bit of both.

But to you, this wasn't a career. This wasn't merely just a passion. It was your life for theirs. Your privilege, through the hardships and the struggles and the heaviest tears, it was your brain that was your privilege. But your heart held just as much responsibility as your mind did.

Tom was no different, at that. Acting started as a job, it started as continuing his love for dance and theater. But as he grew, so did his heart. Acting wasn't just a task of learning how to control one's emotions. To him, it was a creative expression. It was perspective on life. It was living a life someone dreamed they could've had. And no, not as a celebrity, but as the characters. He often thought about how Peter Parker could have been a figment of Stan Lee's imagination. That the small, nerdy Parker boy was a life Stan Lee wanted but never truly got. Tom pondered a lot of things, but he never once wished he could have another life.

College is harsh. Relentless. It's a true reality of life, and with the pressure of your parents to do well, you could only pray you would do well. You had been studying for weeks now, finals coming closer with every passing day. You were due for a break, and mind release. You had signed up for your yearly volunteer during winter break. Your roommate rolled her eyes when you told her; she was unsurprised.

Apparently this year, there would be a few special guests. You were happy to share the children, happy the hospital could bring in more people for the kids that deserved the world but could only get a fraction of it. You swore on your life, on your grave, that you'd give them as much of the world as you could.

**

You were giving the world to them today. Dressing in thick leggings and a sweater, you grabbed your puffer coat as you left campus. The drive to the hospital was short and speedy. You greeted Katherine as you came in, hooking your coat on the coat hanger in the back room.

"Hey, Y/N. It's good to see you. How's college?"

"Stressful," you chuckled.

"But worth it?"
"Always worth it," you smiled.

"The 'guest stars' will be here soon," she moved a few clipboards, taking the papers attached to them. "I think they're bringing things."

"Oh that's awesome," you exhaled. "We need more presents."

"More?" Katherine chuckled. "You've practically emptied your bank account for them."

"Because my parents would totally allow that," you eyed her. The two of you chuckled together, setting up a few things.

Katherine was five and a half years older than you. She'd worked at the hospital for awhile though, replacing a nurse who retired. She was young when she started, but the retired nurse had requested her, recommended her, and the hospital didn't want to waste time on looking for someone else. You'd practically grown up with her; she'd been a volunteer in college while you were finishing high school.