the younger brother

warnings: mentions parent deaths

summary: reader's brother is very protective when tom comes around

word count: 800

You'd yet to bring Tom over to your own house, but now you were fully prepared and he had already texted that he was on his way, so there was no backing out. When the doorbell rang, you were first to open it, making sure your younger brother didn't beat you to it. 

"Hi, Tom," you greeted him, stepping aside so he could come in. 

"Hi, darling," he kissed your cheek, slipping his shoes off and hanging his coat on a hook. 

"Tea?" you offered, and he nodded with a smile, following you into the kitchen. 

He situated himself on a stool while you were working with the kettle. Conversation was light as Tom pointed out details of the house he was still exploring. Just as you had gotten the tea bags out, your brother, Kenji, came into the kitchen from the den. 

"Who's this?" his voice was straight and rough, announcing himself before his image. You turned around with a joking eye roll, placing Tom's mug in front of him before answering. 

"This is Tom, my boyfriend. Tom, this is my brother, Kenji."

"Hi," Tom smiled, reaching his hand out for a shake. Kenji ignored his hand and his greeting, moving around him and maneuvering around you to get to the fridge before leaning on the counter next to the stove, across from Tom. 

Tom looked to you with a curious look, and you looked down, avoiding his gaze. 

"What're you doing here?" Kenji spoke again, quiet emotionless at that. 

"Uhm," Tom laughed nervously. "Jus-"

"What's so funny?" he interrupted, and Tom stuttered out a 'nothing,' but it didn't satisfy Kenji. "No, seriously. You're here in my house with my sister and you're laughing when nothing's funny? Answer when I ask or-"

"Okay, okay, okay," You cut in, pushing Kenji by his chest to calm him down, making him return to his slouched position against the counter. 

He crossed his arms as Tom's face visibly reddened, and he took a sip out of the mug. 

"Kenji," you spoke to him, and he didn't respond, too busy focusing on your boyfriend to give you proper attention. "Kenji," you said again, more sternly. "Can you go upstairs and get the movie collection for me?" He didn't answer again, and you did the same thing, repeating yourself more sternly. 

"Yeah, okay," He said, eyes focused on Tom the entire time until he had to look away to leave the room. You let out a breath you didn't know you were holding, knowing that would keep him occupied for at least a few minutes. 

"So," Tom broke the silence. "He's.. fiesty."

You shrugged, sipping out of your mug. "He's just very.. protective."

"I can see that," Tom said softly. "He's intimidating; is he older than you?"

You shook your head, swallowing the beverage. "Younger."

"Younger, wow," Tom commented. "Is this why you wouldn't invite me over all the time?"

You nodded, glancing to your hands which were encased around the glass. 

"He's been like this with every guy ever since... ever since mom and dad died."

"Oh," Tom said, sorrow filling his expression, and you sent him a hopeful smile, trying to lighten the conversation. 

"He's just- you really have to please him to be a part of his life and my life. He won't open up that easily, not unless he sees you're worth being vulnerable for."

Tom nodded in understanding. "I get it. I won't push him," he sipped his drink again. "If he wants me to stay away then I'll respect that."

"Tom," you said, head tilting and eyebrows furrowing. "I'm not letting him or you-"

"Promise me, Y/N," he grabbed your hand, "that if he tells you not to see me, that you'll tell me."

"I'm not going to-"

"Promise me," he cut you off, eyes pleading. You nodded, a disappointed look in your eyes. 

"I promise."

"Good," his hands returned to his mug just as Kenji walked back in. 

"Here's the case," he said, leaning on the counter once again. You smiled gratefully, head bobbing in a direction, motioning for Tom to follow you into the den to pick a movie to watch. 

Just as Tom was about to follow you out, Kenji called his name and he stopped. 

"What's, uh- what's up?" Tom said, standing across from him. 

Kenji looked down to his fiddling hands, "I... I heard what you said. About- about respecting my wishes."

"Oh," Tom said, overthinking what to say next. "Well, I mean it, you know. You say the word and I'll-"

"You're a good guy," he cut him off, voice returning to its normal state. 

"I- I am?"

Kenji nodded. "I can see how my sister loves you."

Tom blushed, having not said those words to you or heard them from you, though he knew your brother was right. Tom nodded, and Kenji patted his shoulder, leaving Tom in the kitchen as he made his way upstairs. Tom smiled thoughtfully before joining you in the den.