first words

warnings : none

summary : reader & tom's newborn says her first words (requested) 

word count : 800

a/n : im so incredibly sorry. school has started up and im trying to adjust to this at-home social-distancing learning on top of everything else im supposed to be doing. expect more frequent updates in the future !!! (if i get more requests, lmaoooo) 

It had been five months of restless nights, but by month six your baby, Scarlet, was sleeping through the night. Now, Scarlet was almost eight months old. Temporarily, Tom had taken off work to be here for the both of you, but filming could only be postponed for so long. 

He was due back in about a week. You could tell, through all the phone calls and video messages, that being away from his family had taken a huge toll on him. You tried your best to help, but priorities kept building. 

The night Tom would come home, you'd be having dinner with his family. More like they'd be having dinner with you, because they were coming over. Sam had offered to bring a few dishes to contribute, but you insisted otherwise. You knew Tom loved your quiches and lasagnas, so you wanted it to be the best for him as possible. 

Throughout the weeks Tom had been gone, you noticed Scarlet getting a little more restless everyday she went without Tom. You couldn't blame her, but it nearly broke your heart the first time she cried about it. That had been an endless night, and you had hated yourself for not being able to control it, but Tom didn't have to know about that. Scarlet was more important; you had to put her first. 

From then on, you were as gentle as you could be. She was well behaved (for an infant), and the doctor said she was moving along just fine, so you weren't as worried as you thought you might be. 

Every once in awhile, when you'd be talking to her, she'd gurgle some nonsense out, and you could only hope that Tom would be there for her first words. This was his last project that was scheduled to film outside of London, so he wouldn't be leaving the country for quite awhile. 

Tom had just landed. He texted you; told you he was just getting past the fans and paparazzi, and that he'd be home as fast as he could. That could take forever, though, because Tom hadn't been in London for awhile and fans were etching for pictures and autographs. 

At the mere mention of Tom, Scarlet perked up and looked around for her dad. To no avail, though, because he wasn't there and now she was looking at you with sad eyes. 

"Oh, baby," You said. "My red," you hugged her close, rubbing the back of her head. "Dada 's gonna be back soon. Any minute, mommy promises." 

She sniffled, and you hoped she understood you.

She didn't.

Fifteen minutes of crying and whining and whaling had passed. She was seated on the counter, and you were sitting on a stool in front of her, trying to act playful and happy in attempts to cheer her up. Eventually, you heard the car drive up.

"Red," you said softly. She looked at you, her fingers reaching for your hands. "Daddy's home!"

At the mention of her father, a smile etched onto her face her hands went up in the air just as Tom walked in. 

Tom gasped, dropping his bags by the door before going over to the both of you. 

"Is that my baby Red?" He squeeled, taking the stool next to yours and reaching over to his daughter.

"D-dada!" 

Tom froze, looking at you as his hand stopped midair. You gasped. 

"Was- was that-"

"Her first word, Tommy." 

If people could be puppies, Tom would definitely be one. His eyes shined as they glazed over with tears. He went back to Scarlet, picking her up, lightly bouncing her. 

"Can you say that again for daddy? C'mon, 'dadda,'" he cooed. 

"D-," her fist went in the air in excitement from Tom's arrival. "Dada!" 

"That's right, baby," he said, nuzzling his nose into her stomach before hugging her again.

All the while you were crying. Tom noticed and pulled you into a family hug, kissing your temple. 

Eventually, Scarlet yawned, so Tom took her to her nursery for a nap while you went to the kitchen to prepare the food. 

Tom came in, hugging your waist from behind and pulling you into his chest. His lips danced over your neck as he squeezed lightly every once in awhile. 

"I really love you."

"I really love you too," you said, turning around to connect your hands behind his neck. 

"Thank you," he said. 

"For what?"

He wiped a tear as quickly as it had fallen. "For giving me everything I've ever wanted."