break up with your girlfriend

warnings: none

summary: reader writes a song about tom

word count: 500

(requested)

"Hey Vic?" you called out to her and she looked up from her journal. 

"What's up?"

"Do you remember that piece that we started? The one with the super long title?"

She thought for a moment before pulling up the computer program, typing in a few words and moving the monitor in your direction. 

"That's the one!" You smiled, "I wanna work on that; I have a few more ideas. Maybe it could be a single or something."

"Gotcha," she typed in a few more things before fully turning in your direction. "Let's see what you've got."

Four hours later, you were in the middle of doing takes for the main vocals and the backup vocals, when Tom came into the studio control room with lunch. 

"Hey," he smiled to Tommy and Victoria before listening to what you were singing. "This new?"

Tommy nodded, Victoria speaking. "Finished the writing today; she wanted to get it done. Wants it as the next single."

"Oh," Tom nodded, looking at you through the glass. As he listened closer, the chorus came and he realized the song's true intent and meaning. When you finished, you came out of the studio laughing, headphones around your neck. 

"Hi, Tom," you smiled, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek before listening to your most recent takes. 

"What's- what's the song about?"

You looked up from the monitor, smile slightly faltering as your brows furrowed. He'd never really asked about something like this, always wanting to respect you and your work, especially since the two of you were still fresh into the relationship. 

"Hey, Vic and I have to get these mixtapes down for merging. You cool here?" Tommy asked, getting up from the seat. You nodded, taking his place in the rolling chair as they left the studio. 

"Was that about me? An- and Kassandra?" Tom broke the silence.

Your fingers hovered over the mouse, movements freezing as you looked away from the monitor again. 

"Maybe, maybe not."

"I... I had no idea you liked me back then."

Your brows scrunched even more. "Really? I figured everyone knew."

"Everyone?"

"You know, Harry and Harrison and everyone."

"Oh," he paused. "Well, I didn't. I never knew you liked me until you said yes to my date." 

You chuckled softly, fiddling with your fingers. 

"How.. how long?"

"Like I'm gonna tell you now," you stuck your tongue out at him, fingers clicking the mouse again. 

"C'mon, the least you could do is tell me," he smirked at your breath hitching. 

"Nope. Nopedy-nope -nope."

"What's the harm?" He nudged your side playfully, moving closer to your seat. 

"I know, you don't."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, oh," you repeated with another laugh. 

"C'mon," he poked your side.

"Tom-"

"Y/N."

"Thomas-"

"What's the worst th-"

"Because then you'd know that I've been in love with you for literal months!" you exclaimed before gasping. 

"We've never... said that before," he noted. 

"Yeah," you mumbled, turning around again. "Don't have to say it back."

"Yeah," he replied softly. "But I will, because I do."

"Tom, you don't have to say it just because I wrote a song about it-"

He laughed at that, pulling his chair up to your side. "But I love you," he poked your side, producing a laugh out of you as he kissed your cheek. "Besides, I broke up with her, didn't I?"

You laughed loudly, gasping with your hands to your mouth. "Tom that was such a mean joke!" 

He laughed, "It wasn't that bad!"

"Yes it was!" you said between laughs. He laughed before horribly singing. 

"Break up with your girlfriend! Yeah yeah 'cuz I'm bored."

"That's not how you do the run!"