safety net

warnings: none

summary: inspired by ariana grande's "safety net"

word count: 500

(requested)

Before you met Tom, it had been so long since you'd truly opened to someone, since you'd connected with anyone. But he came along and changed up your entire life, show'd you how to be loved and how to love someone. 

You were four months into your relationship, moving on to five, and the realization that it was starting to get serious and committed had hit you like a truck. A part of you wondered if it was truly too good to be true, if he was too good for you. Your past relationships weren't memories you liked recalling, and the idea of losing Tom scared you, but the idea of falling harder for him scared you most. 

"I was thinking," Tom had mentioned one day. "I should empty a drawer for your things, y'know, since you're over so much."

You laughed, nodded, and he'd smiled before going to work. That was one of the first times it had hit you, purely by something he'd said

Now, it's just past the five month mark and you're upstairs in Tom's bedroom. He was on his way home, but you're too focused on your mind to even notice. You're panicking, the anxiety and bottled up frustrations building and making your state worse. 

You're sitting on the edge of the bed, trying not to let the tears consume you as you fight to keep your stance calm. You're leaning on your knees when Tom comes in. 

"Hey, love. How was your da-" But he cuts himself short, rushing over and leaning on your knees to as he immediately notices something off. "Angel? What's wrong?"

You looked up and wiped your eyes quickly, standing up. You breathed in while speaking, "Nothing, nothing." You attempted a smile. "How was your day?"

"No," he shook his head. "Tell me what's wrong."

Your expression wavered before you rejected his orders again. "No."

"No?"

"N- no."

"Y/N, we're talking about this. Now, tell me what's wrong," he tried to grab your hand to hold you across from him, but you backed up. 

"I- I don't want to."

Tom cursed under his breath, looking down before trying again. "Why- why do you always do this?"

Your brows furrowed, "Do what?"

"You- you never open up to me! I feel like I'm the only one who's in this relationship seriously."

"That's not true," you defended yourself. 

"Then why," he breathed out, holding your hand again. "Why can't you ever let your guard down?"

You exhaled shakily. "Because I'm afraid!" 

He was a little taken aback at your outburst, but he returned to his worried expression after a few beats. 

"Afraid of what?"

"Afraid of- of how much I love you," you were breathing heavily, almost hyperventilating. 

His breath hitched, having not quite said the word yet, though he most definitely felt them. 

When he didn't answer, you went on. "I'm- I'm afraid of how hard I'm falling. I- I can't.."

"Hey, hey," Tom held you in his arms pulling you close. "It's going to be okay. I- I know it's scary-- I'm so fucking scared. So scared. But you know? I have you. I think of you an-and how happy you make me and I can't help but love how far I'm falling."

You let out a breathy laugh, leaning your forehead on his in gratefulness. He kissed you, soft and sweet but passionate and lovingly, and you leaned your forehead on his when it was over. 

"Please don't let me go."

"Never," he whispered with a smile, kissing you again.