scarlet's first

warnings : cursing?

summary : tom, a wreck on scarlet's big 1 year

word count : 700

(requested) lmaooo this was short but hopefully not as shitty as my morning brain made it seem??? enjoy - i didn't proof read

When Tom woke up, you were already out of bed. He groaned. Ever since the baby slept through the night, you had been in this crazy routined-habit. You were probably making breakfast, and when he made his way down the stairs, he was proven correct. 

"Hi, love." 

"G'morning, Tommy," you said, turning around to hug him and kiss his cheek. "We need to get ready soon, I think your brother's are coming over soon." 

He groaned again, realization of what today really was. 

"I knew there was a reason I didn't want to get up," he groaned, turning around. "I'm going back to bed."

"Nuh-uh," you said, grabbing his hand and spinning him around. "C'mon, it's Scarlet's birthday, don't be a grump." 

"I don't wanna," he whined. 

"Tommy.." you warned. 

"Don't make me, mommy," he whined again.

You laughed at that, shaking your head and sitting beside him at the table. 

"What's up, Tommy?"

"I just-" he huffed, looking down. "She's turning one."

"I know, Tommy," you said. "She's only one-"

"It felt like yesterday she was born!" 

"I know," you said, placing your hand atop his. "She's growing fast, I know." 

"I just- I don't want her to grow so fast." 

"Baby it's alright," you sighed. Before you could go any further, the doorbell rang and the two of you shot up.

"I'll get it," Tom said, and you nodded with a smile. 

When Tom returned to the kitchen, five other boys were with him. 

"Did you guys just wake up?" Harrison asked, laughing. 

"As a matter of fact, yes," Tom said, taking a seat at the round table. 

You laughed before sitting on the counter, legs dangling off and sipping your preferred morning drink. 

"Well, it's not like it's your birthday," Harry laughed. 

Tom groaned again, and you laughed with Harry. Sam was mouthing words to you, something along the lines of "what's up with him?" and you merely shook your head and told him you'd spill later. 

"Baby, why don't you go get Red?" you said, hopping off of the counter. "I'm sure the boys are hungry; they are here for a birthday breakfast, after all." 

"Yeah," he mumbled, getting up. "Okay," he replied, kissing your cheek and dragging his feet as he made his way out of the kitchen and upstairs.

"Finally," Sam started. "Now you can tell me what's up with him." 

"Yeah, a total bummer," Tuwaine said, giggling with Harry.

"An emotional wreck," you corrected. "He's gonna be all over the place, it's like he's finally gotten his period."

Everyone laughed at that before you went on. 

"He's just a little emotional with Red growing up and all that." 

"Growing up? She hasn't even started school, yet!" Harrison exclaimed, a wide smile planted on his face 

"I know," you said. "But I get it. It's especially hard for him with all the traveling and such. I think he thinks he misses a lot of key moments and bonding experiences."

"He's flexible, though," Harry said. "He can take a leave, go home when he wants. It's not like he'll be out of a job."

You hummed. "I think an insecure father would still overthink such topics," you replied, pouring some tea and putting the french toast on a plate. 

Before the conversation could reach any further, Tom came in with Red on his arm and hip. She was still fairly young, so her dialect wasn't fully developed. You did suspect that she was starting to understand what you said to her, and that was forward movement enough. 

"Hi, my baby angel," you said softly, greeting Scarlet. You were standing in front of Tom, slightly crouched to be eye level with Red. "Do you know what today is, Red?" When she didn't answer, you went on. "You're turning one today! Yeah? You're one year old!" You said, holding up one finger and repeating it again. 

Tom bounced her lightly before joining you. "You're one year old, Red!" he said with you, only this time, she actually replied. 

"One," she repeated, her pointer finger up. Slurred and sloppy, but it was still the same words. 

You shot upright and gasped, your jaw to the floor as you stared in shock. The boys behind you had gone quiet, watching the interaction. 

"Can you say that again for me, Red?" Tom said. "One year old?"

Again, she repeated exactly what Tom said and did, and yours eyes watered. Tom glanced up to you and smiled softly, reaching for your hand. You held his, smiling contently and knowing that Tom was going to be alright.