finally heard

warnings: none

summary: reader's and tom's baby starts hearing for the first time

word count: 300

(requested) sorry this took a little while -- wanted to read into it a little

"Remember, there's no guarantee she'll hear at all, but we think there's a high possibility of it being possible," Dr. Tanaka told you and Tom. The two of you eagerly nodded in understanding before reaching for the box she was handing you. 

In it were your daughter's first pair of hearing aids, brand new and unopened. 

"I wish you two good luck. Have a nice day," she smiled, exiting the room with her clipboard.

You looked to the box in your hands before looking to Tom. "Can we go home?" 

"Of course," he smiled softly, kissing your cheek and picking up Scarlet, holding her close to his chest. You exhaled gratefully, opening the door as the three of you went back to the car.

The drive home was almost tense, but from the possibility that you two might be disappointed. When Tom parked the vehicle on the driveway, he as out of the car first, taking Scarlet from the backseat just as you opened your door.

You stepped into the house, looking to him before the two of you went upstairs. You changed into comfortable clothes, Tom and Red doing the same, and then the two of you were sitting side by side, Scarlet bouncing on Tom's knee as you opened the box. 

With one final glance to Tom and a squeeze of his hand, you put the aids on her ears, cooing at her. 

"Hi, my baby angel. Can you hear me? It's mummy," You smiled at her. She laughed at your voice for the first time ever, and you gasped, tears slipping out as Tom gripped your hand harder. "Oh my god she can hear me." 

"That's right," Tom whispered to you. "She can hear her mummy, now." Red was looking at the two of you curiously, so Tom spoke instead. "Hi, Red. It's daddy. Can you say that for me?" She giggled, grabbing his finger with her hands and gurgling nonsense. 

The two of you burst into tears, hugging each other as you took turns talking to Red, calling your families to tell them the news.