losing grip T.H.

tom holland x reader; 1.4k words - please READ WITH CAUTION. it's heavy tw // brain tumors, diseases, MRI's, crying, angst

"And I'm telling you there's something obviously wrong with her." Tom was just on the edge of yelling at the doctor. You were sitting on the medical bed in the lonesome room.

One month of Tom being home was enough time for him to realize you were not the same person you were when he left for filming. You were quiet, more conserved, and a bit more curious than you normally were. But not in the sense that you were inquisitive about new things. No, you were forgetting what you already knew to be true.

"Sir, we just asked her a series of questions and she's showing no signs of change."

"Then that's not enough, goddammit!" His fist slams down on the counter, startling everyone in the room.

"Please refrain from raising your voice, sir."

"I won't refrain from doing anything until you keep running more tests. Try- try something different if you're not getting anywhere with these ones!"

The man, his tag reading Dr. Goldstein, offered a tense smile. He whispered something to Tom, something out of your earshot, and he nodded.

"I'll be right back, okay baby?" He leaned close to your ear, leaving a gentle kiss under the lobe while you nodded. His fingers slipped from yours and suddenly you were alone in the room.

Goldstein brought Tom into a separate medical room, and Tom sat in one of the chairs provided while the doctor logged himself into the company database.

"Can you explain what you've been noticing? Your reason for being here?"

"She's having a lot of headaches." The doctor hummed, a sign for Tom to elaborate. He did. "She- she told me to bring home extra medicine but the headaches got so bad she had to call in sick for work. About three days later she was throwing up frequently. We took her to the local doctor but they said it was a stomach bug and it would go away."

"And it didn't?" Tom shook his head. "Is that all? Has she had any seizures?"

"No."

"Does anyone in her family have a history of having seizures?"

"Not that I know of." Goldstein looked at Tom through the tops of his glasses, eyebrows raised as he wrote all the information down.

"Has she had any memory loss, fatigue or sleeping problems?"

"Yeah, sleeping problems were big with the headaches. She- uh... she's been forgetting things a lot easier now, too."

"Do you know any of the things she's forgotten? Anything major, that is."

Tom scratched the back of his neck in thought. "I mean... she forgot her phone password once. A few hair appointments maybe, or a dinner reservation. I think the big one was when she forgot how to drive."

"She forgot how to drive?"

"Not entirely, just a couple steps."

The doctor clicked his tongue. It wasn't calming Tom's nerves. You, however, were swinging your legs back and forth as you waited patiently for someone to return. A nurse had come in to give you some water, which you gratefully accepted. You weren't sure what was taking so long for Tom to get back; you were the one sick, afterall.

"We'll have to run a few tests just to confirm anything, first. Can you make an appointment with the front desk?"

Tom nods, standing as the man leads him out of this room and into the one with you.