time won't change that

warnings: angst (hopeful endings, don't worry !)

summary: reader goes through a breakup and tom accidentally confesses his feelings

word count: 1100

(requested) did not proofread :) 

When Tom saw your name light up his phone screen, he felt giddy, until he heard your voice 

"Can I come over right now?"

"Y/N? IS everything okay? Are you hu-"

"Can I come over right now?" You repeated, more firmly, seriously.

Tom, worried and concerned because he could always tell when you were crying or upset, knew it was best to answer you and wait to ask questions later. "Yeah, of course." 

The other end of the line went blank, and he knew you hung up. He started pacing on his living room floor until there were two weak knocks on the front door. He rushed to open them, swinging it to reveal you, teary-eyed and bloodshot, hair disheveled from what he assumed was the drive over and the slight drizzle of rain. 

"Oh my god-" he whispered, pulling you in. "C'mere, c'mon you're gonna catch a cold if you stay out here."

You stumbled into the warmth of his flat, stray tears descending down your cheeks as he warmed you up with a hug, engulfing you in his embrace, the smell of his hoodie and his cologne filling your senses and blocking out the world. 

"What happened?" he whispered after a few silent beats. 

"Ryder broke up with me." 

Tom felt anger bubble within him, fury flowing through his veins as the need to teach him a lesson grew larger than the size of his fist. He knew Ryder had never deserved you in the sense that he never truly appreciated your presence or your underlying care. Tom knew how much you craved to be acknowledged for all that you did, and he also knew how draining and exhausting it was to be disappointed after expecting so much from someone. He knew it was wrong to be jealous when you had found somebody, but he also knew it wasn't too selfish if all he wanted to do was make you happy. 

"He never deserved you," he whispered back, rubbing your back as his chin leaned on the top of your head. 

You shook your head from within the crook of his neck, from the warmth of his chest. Another tear fallen. 

"I just wish it didn't hurt so bad." 

Tom didn't reply, merely letting guilt and regret fill his coffee orbs.

"God, if I had just been there sooner or listened to you more or noticed how much you were changing- I could've made things easier or better. If I had just told you how in love I am with you before he came along then maybe I could've prevented all of this, or even made it seem like you weren't interested. God that sounds ridiculously selfish right now but I should've done something early to-" 

"What did you say?" You asked, slightly removing yourself from his embrace. 

Tom stopped talking to think about all the words of his rant, and he froze, the realization striking him harder than a truck. "That I wish I could've made it easier?" he tried, his answer coming out as a question due to how unsure he was, how nervous he is. 

"No," you trailed off, fulling pushing him away to look him straight on. "You said you're in love with me." 

Tom's mouth opened and closed as he let out a deep breath, anxiety replacing the rage in his veins, his mind filled with worries about all the ways he'd just screwed up his most important friendship. 

"Do you really?" you asked quietly. 

Tom nodded, looking down. "I understand if... you don't want to be friends with me anymore or something," he mumbled, voice rasping as tears filled his eyes from fear of what your response might be. 

"Tom I-" you cut yourself off, looking to your hands before swallowing your nerves. "I really love you too, but-"

Tom wanted to stop you before you started. "If you're going to do some letting me down easy shit then you can just stop talking." 

Your eyes darted up to his face faster than a Ferrari. "You have no idea what I'm going to say! Don't be such an ass-" 

"Such an ass?" Tom matched your tone. "I'm trying to protect myself! It's not like I wanted to just blurt out my feelings like that!" he defended himself. "If you're going to say what I don't want to hear then that's fine but that doesn't mean I'm going to listen." 

"Tom," you tilted your head. "Can I just-" 

"No you can't!" he cut you off, turning away from you. "I don't want you to say something an- and then I lose you forever. If you don't- if you don't love me the way I love you then don't tell me that. If I- if I lose you it's not going to be because you don't love me in the same way," he finished with a whisper. 

You looked to the ground, fiddling with your fingers, before moving to stand in front of him, in his view. He, too, was looking at the ground, until your fingertips moved his chin to look you head on. 

"Tommy," you whispered. "I wasn't going to say I don't love you," your voice wavered. "I'm so in love with you too," you confessed. "That's why Ryder broke up with me," you stopped to swallow your nerves again. "And I just-" your hands were gesturing to yourself while you look at the brown-eyed boy in front of you. "I feel so guilty. I can't- I can't handle knowing I hurt him by being in love with someone else." 

Tom felt a glimmer of hope at your words, though he knew it was wrong, he couldn't help himself. Love makes you do selfish things. 

"But right now," you started again. "I can't be with you until I've moved on from Ryder- until I've moved on from the fact that I set someone else up for heartbreak. No- nobody deserves that, not even Ryder. I need- I need time, Tom." 

Tom gulped, nodding as his eyes darted to the floor again. Your fingertips, once again, moved to their position under his chin. 

"Look at me here, listen to me right now," you whispered. "I'm so in love with you too. Time won't change that." 

Tom let out a breath of relief. Silence settled over the two of you, a bridge between awkward and comfortable, so Tom took the initiative to move on with the night. 

"Can I- can I get you anything? Do you want to spend the night? We can watch movies if you want- unless you want to go home, I can drive you-" 

"No no," you stopped him short. "A movie sleepover sounds great right now."