driving in the rain T.H.

fluffy fancy dinner date and a drive back with tom x reader; 1.1k words

A long and exhausting week required much due relaxation. It required celebrating, for making it through probably one of the busiest weeks of the year. Tom had asked if you wanted to eat out, and you suggested a few favorite restaurants before the two of you decided on a fancy Italian restaurant a few miles away.

It was raining when you left home, rain pittering and pattering on the pavement, overcrowding grooves in the ground as puddles formed and sewers filled. Streams of water ran down the crevices of the road, water slick on the wheels of Tom's freshly cleaned car.

You were driving; it was ritual. Tom didn't like driving in the rain, which was surprising considering he'd grown up in London, the world's most popular city known for rain. He said it made him nervous, and though he was always one to take his own advice and turn nerves into excitement, he just felt better altogether if someone else was at the wheel. It wasn't that he couldn't do it or that he didn't trust himself, but he feared the possibilities. He tried not to think too much about one thing.

The restaurant was classy and warm, hot puffs of air escaping into the cold atmosphere of the night. A single security guard in a black suit stood outside of the door under a large, connected canopy. There were dim lights around the front entrance, and you offered him a smile. He remained unmoved only to open the door. Tom nodded to him, a seemingly universal code for men.

You stepped inside carefully, rubbing your shoes on the mat as you did so. Tom did the same, hand going to the small of your back and guiding you in the direction of the worker in charge of reservations. Tom slipped him a twenty after he'd seated the two of you.

The two of you were regulars here, coming every couple of months. They'd grown accustomed to serving the two of you, working for you as if the two of you ran a mafia. It flattered and excited you, feeling like a queen.

Tom was holding your hand as he looked through the menu; you weren't sure why he was looking at all. You both tended to order the same things. When it came down to it, it was comfort food. After your favorite waiter took your orders, you sat silently with Tom, sipping white wine. He was halfway done with a beer, but he'd told you he was going lighter today, not wanting to go home tipsy.

You talked about nothing in particular, mentioning a few changes that were made in the restaurant from the time you were last there to now. Tom smiled when you started fiddling with the jewelry on your left hand. It was an original Tiffany & Co. piece, a sparkling 1.27 carats. You cried when you first saw it. You'd wanted it since you were young, so you recognized it off the bat.

It had been just over a month since he proposed, and now you were finishing up dessert. It was a compliment from the chef; he'd just recently heard about your engagement. It was his famous — and your favorite — Tiramisu. You'd first introduced the dish to Tom on your third date. He'd never even heard the name before you came into his life, and the two of you vowed to go to the gym every week if you wanted to eat it whenever you were together, which, granted, was practically every hour of the day.

Two and half hours had passed since you first arrived with Tom. They'd given you more food to take home, and you promised to send them invites to the ceremony, also asking for their catering card and information. The manager had smiled when you asked, giving you both warm hugs as you went to receive your coats from the racks they were put on when you first entered.

Julia, the woman in charge of coats, smiled sending you a wave as she returned your coats. Tom slipped his grey blazer on before helping you with your trench coat, slipping your arms in as his hand returned to the small of you back. You both waved as you walked out, and Levi the security guard handed you your umbrella as you left.

You were exhausted by the time the car was pulled up. Tom tipped a twenty to the valet. You were standing under the umbrella with Tom, ready to take the keys from Michael the driver, but Tom's lanky fingers reached out first, waving and nodding to Mike as he opened the passenger door for you.

Your shoulders sagged as you jutted a lip out.

"Thank you, Tommy."

He smiled softly, kissing your cheek. "Of course, love."

After situating himself in the driver's seat, he adjusted his dress pants before starting the drive home. You nearly passed out the minute he'd gotten on the freeway; the rain consumed you, relaxed and comforted you, filling your ears and nose as you drifted off into the world of R.E.M.

Tom smiled at the sight of you, one hand on the wheel and another on your thigh. You'd ended up using Tom's jacket as a blanket, wrapping it around you, holding onto it as if it were him. He glanced at the shining diamond, perfectly situated on your ring finger. He grinned wider, eyes focusing on the road ahead of him.

By the time Tom pulled into the driveway, it was quarter to eleven. You were still asleep despite Tom stepping out of the car. He decided not to wake you, so he unbuckled your seatbelt and carried you out of the Audi, locking the vehicle before opening the front door, closing it gently so as not to disturb you too much.

Brushing your teeth and removing your makeup was a hazy memory, and when you finally slipped under the covers, wrapping around Tom, your mind was in a state of bliss, and you knew you wanted to do this forever.

Tom smiled as you slept on his chest. He pulled you closer. He loved the feeling of you sleeping in his arms, dreaming as your body relaxed, stayed peaceful. He felt like a protector, like your protector. He didn't need a wedding to prove that he'd continue protecting you until his own death, and he didn't need a wedding to prove how much he loved you.

He kissed the top of your head and you sighed blissfully into the crook of his neck. Goosebumps arose as you sleepily kissed his soft, smooth skin. He held you tighter. He'd drive in the rain for you, for the rest of his days.