wine is out of the question

warnings: baby talk, cursing

summary: reader tells tom she's pregnant :)

word count: 1200

(requested) didn't proofread lol enjoy

It had been about two and a half weeks after your missed period when you grew suspicious. Trying for a baby with Tom had its ups and downs, false alarms included. You didn't really want to get your hopes up, especially since nobody but the two of you knew you'd been trying to have kids, and because you had been trying so hard that the baby fever wasn't as high.

As if it was instinct, you returned home from a shopping spree with Aisha. You had told her about your suspicions, and she asked to accompany you. You had agreed, telling her to wait on the bed while you went into the bathroom. 

When you came out, the two of you waited on the bed for approximately three minutes. When her timer went off, you jumped at the sound, nerves finally hitting you that you and Tom might actually become parents.

"You go first," she said. You nodded, cautiously walking into the bathroom. 

Glancing at the stick, your mouth dropped in surprise, eyes widening. Tears were slow to come as the realization was finally settling into your brain. When you turned around to look at Aisha, with the stick in your hand, you tried suppressing your grin. 

"Aisha," you whispered. 

"What? What is it?" she rushed out. 

"I think only best friends get bumped up to favorite aunts." 

She screamed, jumping up and throwing her arms in the air as she moved to hug you. The two of you were sent into a flurry of emotions, happy and proud and excited. After the two of you calmed down, Aisha went on about how excited she was for the future. 

"And then there's the matter with telling Tom-" 

"Tom- shit," you breathed out with a laugh. "How should I tell him?" 

"Oh my god," she spoke slowly. "This is going to be so much fun- holy shit! I've always wanted to do this-!"

"Aisha Aisha -- calm down, holy crap," you laughed. "I don't want to go all out. I want it to be subtle but cute -- kinda domestic." 

She nodded her head slowly, mind in her thoughts about how to approach this. 

"How long until he's home?" 

"I think today he's just doing a few scenes -- we probably have four hours."

"Awesome." 

***

When Tom came home, you were well in the middle of making dinner, something Aisha said was a key element in revealing the news. In the end, you had decided not to go with any of her ideas, as they were either too cliche or too loud, in your opinion. So, she had left you with a single congratulatory and good luck note, and gone home. 

As Tom stepped through the front door, he slipped his shoes off, dropping his bag by his hung coat on the rack. He ran his fingers through his curls, wiping his eyes and smelling the scents of a homemade dinner. He smiled, looking down to the wedding band on sitting on his ring finger. He fiddled with it on his way to the kitchen. 

Emerging through the swing door, he saw the table set and you -- clad in his hoodie and an apron, making a salad. There were various dishes prepared, some just small appetizers, some new recipes, and others some old favorites.

"Hey, love," he said, leaning on a counter as he sipped some water. 

You spun around, a smile on your face. "Hi Tommy," you greeted him, giving him a quick peck as you engulfed him in a hug. He smiled, hugging you back, before a timer went off. You put the remaining dishes on the table before opening the oven, Tom watching you. 

"Look!" You smiled to him. "A bun in the oven."

 "A bun in the oven?" Tom looked at you curiously and chuckled. 

You smiled back at him, cursing yourself for realizing it was too subtle for him to pick up on. After placing the fresh bread on the table, Tom walked over to it. 

He let the scents consume him before he spoke. "This all smells.. amazing. Thank you, Y/N. I really needed this." 

You smiled with a nod. "Yeah me too," you agreed, "Eating for two is hard." 

"Eating for... two?" Tom asked, placing a spoon back in the dish as he looked at you. "What do-" 

"I made dinner for the three of us," you stated simply, hoping he'd understand. 

Tom looked to you, sitting across from him, and the furrow in his brows went away, jaw opening and eyes widening with love. He tried to form a sentence, his smile and excitement and tears getting in the way, though.

"You're- we- we're- we're pregnant?"

"Yeah," you breathed out, smiling. 

Tom let out a few excited breaths before a full smile overtook his face. He stood up quickly, and you did the same, and just in time. Tom was hugging you now, holding you tightly against him. 

"I can't- I can't believe it. I- it's- it's finally happening." 

"It is," you smiled again, trying to stop tears from forming. Tom was way passed that point though, letting drops fall from his smile-fitted face. 

"I'm so- so excited," he stated at last, looking at you at arms length. "And I'm so happy I'm having this with you." 

***

About a month later, your obgyn had told you that you would start showing in a matter of weeks, and Tom and you took that as a sign to finally tell your families. With Tom's family right down the street, the two of you were over for a dinner date with the rest of the Holland's, Harrison and Sam's girlfriend joining the occasion (as it was to be a game night after food was served). 

A/N: do not going to a fucking party during this deadly pandemic or istg-

After greeting everyone, the two of you sat next to each other at the dinner table. Wine was being served, the offer returned for both of you. 

"Actually, dad," Tom said, starting standing up while holding your hand. "We have something to... say." 

"Oh?" Nikki asked with a smile. 

"Yeah," Tom said. "Love?" He whispered. You scrunched your nose before standing up, glancing to all the pairs of eyes on you. 

"We didn't want to tell anyone for fear of getting hopes up, but... Tom and I are trying for a baby." 

Cheers and gasps went around the room, a toast being offered. When everyone settled down, questioning looks were still sent to the two of you, who were still standing. You tapped Tom's hand with your thumb, the one intertwined with your own hand, and he understood. 

He was trying so hard not to smile and just blurt out the news. "And well, we're happy to say that there is going to be a new addition to the Holland family." 

Nikki was first to react, jaw dropping and hand flying to her mouth to conceal her gasp, eyes watering. You and Tom looked to each other with smiles.

"How- how long?" she asked, the other boys cheering. 

"About two months," you confirmed with a smile. 

"Well," Dominic started. "I guess wine's out of the question."