insomnia

The bustling of trees catches your attention for what must be the eighth time this night. An unusual weather calculation for strong winds, for gales, has your brain off on a mindless train of thoughts. The soft glow of the moonlight shines through the window, and you sit up quietly. Glancing down at the peaceful boy next to you, you slip out from the covers as you tip toe downstairs.

You wish the silence of his house would put you to rest like everyone else.

Tom had asked you to spend the night. Granted, it wasn't your first night together, but on all other occasions, the two of you had spent the night doing silly things until three in the morning. In which case, he'd never encountered your restlessness.

You weren't as fortunate right now.

You exhaled sharply, eyes adjusting to the dim room as you looked out the large bay window. You'd barely been downstairs for five minutes, sitting alone in an armchair buy the patio door, when Tom came down the stairs, yawning with disheveled curls and a shirtless torso.

"Love?" Another yawn, "Come back to bed."

His voice is raspy and deep, a sure sign that he's fresh out of his dreams.

You nibble your bottom lip, out of anxiousness or frustration in your lack of ability to sleep normally, you don't know. Sighing, you shake your head, an action that causes his eyebrows to furrow.

"What's up?"

"Can't sleep."

He hums quietly, deciphering as to why you're in the predicament you are. "Is it the bed?" The questioning look of confusion on your face tells him one of two things: that you don't know what he's inquiring or he's absolutely out of line. "Do different settings make you anxious?" he tries again.

You shrug in response to his question, sitting up a little straighter. He bends down to your level as you clear your throat. "I have insomnia."

"Oh." The new silence makes you wish he'd start talking again. Or at least, it makes you wish he'd never noticed you left the bed. "Is there anything I can do?"

"You need rest, Tommy."

"Not without my best girl."

You fight off a smile and pray he can't see your rising state of flux in the dark. It's astonishing how easily this charming boy can make you flustered, how this charming boy can make you a puddle of sap in seconds.

"C'mon, darling. Let me help."

Slipping into his charm, you start to give in. "..Okay," you whisper.

"Yeah?"

"Mhm."

He stands tall, pulling you to your feet, kissing your temple before offering his signature smile. It's genuine, and though he's noticeably exhausted, it warms your heart how caring he is.

"Now tell me," he wraps his arms around you. "What can I do to help?"