eggnog and mistletoe

warnings: none:)

summary: reader is not a fan of the holidays... hopeful peter gives her a reason to be

word count: 1500

(requested)

Growing up, the holidays had never peaked your interests. What, with living in an area where heat was a constant and snow was a rare, you had no reasons to find any of the winter holidays interesting or in the least bit, exciting. 

This was your first year in New York, and your first holiday outside of your hometown. It was one of the last weeks of November, Peter inviting you and his friends over to his apartment for a movie night. 

The heater was on, blankets passed around as everyone chose spots, you and Peter choosing one end of the couch, Ned sitting on the floor and MJ on the arm chair. Betty was sitting on the other end of the couch, Flash sitting beside Ned as they fought for the popcorn. 

A scene in the movie came on, but Flash had to use the restroom, asking you to pause the movie. You did just that, and Betty took the opportunity to talk. 

"I just love winter and Christmas," she gushed. "It's so much fun and it makes me so nostalgic." 

"Ha, for you," MJ replied. "I will admit, the ice skating is fun as fuck."

Peter laughed, nodding. 

"What about the food, though," Ned tapped his temple with his pointer finger.

"What food?" Flash came out of the bathroom, straightening his shirt out. 

"We're talking about the holidays," Peter told him. 

"Oh sick," he sat down next to Ned again, pulling his blanket over his legs. "You guys ever just play in the snow until your nose turns red? And then your mom has to drag you in before you get a cold?"

"Oh my gosh, yes!" Betty laughed, tapping his shoulder. "Or when you drink eggnog and open presents-"

"I think decorating is way more fun than eggnog," MJ commented. 

"What about you?" Peter asked you quietly, poking your side. 

"What about me?" you laughed nervously at him. 

"What do you like about the holidays, I mean," he said. 

"Well uhm," you scratched the back of your neck. "I don't really like the holidays." 

"You don't like the holidays?" Ned repeated, louder. "How do you not like the holidays?" 

"Seriously though, what're you going to do on Christmas?" Betty asked. 

"Probably stay home and watch movies," you said nonchalantly, not seeing the big deal with your response. 

"Jesus Christ," Ned laughed. "You're really missing out, kid." 

"Yeah, what are you, the Grinch?" Flash joked, laughing with Betty. 

"Can't you go home to your family?" MJ suggested. 

"We don't really- you know... they aren't big on holiday celebrations." 

"No wonder she's a Grinch," Flash teased.

"Okay, okay," Peter shut it down. "Let's just finish the movie before it gets too late." 

For the next three weeks, Peter and his friend group had prepared for the holidays, going ice skating and taking trips to the mall for Christmas shopping, as well as going in to see the big Christmas tree. All the while, you had denied each of their offers, not wanting to be called a Grinch for not having fun during their hang outs. Peter, however, found himself having less fun now that you had stopped hanging out with them.