deal breaker

"Hey! There's the happy couple!" Dominic greeted the two of you, stepping aside so you could walk inside. "How're the newly weds?'

Tom laughed, "It's been half a year, dad."

He rolled his eyes playfully, hugging the both of you. "Your mum's been so excited. Let's not keep her waiting."
You and Tom took your respective seats on a love couch. Snacks and a few wine bottles were set up on a coffee table. The rest of the boys were spread out around the room; it was a family night. Games, movies, probably even a bit of sports later on.

The conversation ran smoothly. You were cuddled into Tom's side, sipping a glass of red wine as Tom drank his beer. His rough hand ran up and down the side of your arm.
"So Y/N," Nikki switched the conversation. That was her — always trying to be inclusive. "You're really going to town on that wine." You laughed, nodding. "So I guess you're not pregnant or anything."

Tom nearly choked on his drink. "Mum," he whined.

"I'm just saying!" she smiled softly. "No rush at all... I'd just love to have some grandchildren within the next five years."

Tom glanced down to you, chuckling. "Yeah, well, maybe not right this second."

You smiled uncomfortably, though you doubted anyone could sense your tension.

**

When the night came to a close, you and Tom decided to head home. Tom was recalling moments from the past day, laughing with you about conversations amongst other things.

"Boy, and mum with all those grandchildren requests," he laughed. You mustered up a fake one. "We'll start sometime," he chuckled, hand on your thigh.

"Or... not," you suggested.

"Hm?" he looked to you before looking back to the road again.

"I mean, y'know, maybe not."

"Maybe not?" he inquired. "What does that mean?"

"We don't have to have kids, you know," you didn't want to snap at him. You just wanted him to know where you were on the subject; you'd thought you already discussed it.

"Well, I know, but I want kids. Don't you?" He parked the car in the driveway. You huffed, head turning to glance up at the stars before redirecting back to Tom.

You shook your head, and it was almost as if Tom had deflated. He's disappointed.

"What?"

"Just drop it," you opened the door, stepping out before Tom could object. He didn't. Instead, he mirrored your actions, locking the car and racing to catch up with you, voice echoing.

"What do you mean you don't want kids?"

You stepped into the house, leaving the door open for Tom to follow you inside. "Tom, we already talked about this."

"Yeah, when we were dating. I thought you meant you didn't want kids until marriage."

"Well I don't want kids at all. Sorry it's such a deal breaker." You begin your journey upstairs after removing your shoes. Tom stands in the doorway of the front door before locking it and once again racing after you.

He finds you seated on the mattress, taking off your earrings with a look that tells him you're about to cry. He strides over, sitting across from you. You don't halt your movements at his presence, and he has to hold your hand for you to finally look him in the eyes.

"Baby," he coos quietly. "It's not a deal breaker. Nothing about you is ever a deal breaker." He sighs when you look away, glancing down. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have assumed you wanted what I do. I love you, as a mom or not."

You look up again, eyes watering. "You really mean that."

"Of course, love."

You collapse into his embrace, letting out a few tears as you sniffle. "I'm sorry. I suppose I'm just biased on the whole subject but I just- I just don't want kids right now. I'v- I've never wanted them at all and I'm sorry I should'v-"

"Hey hey," his fingers go under your chin, lifting your head. "You don't have to apologize. You don't have to explain." You nod in his grip. "I love you, you know that, right?" You nod again. "Good. Now that's enough baby talk for tonight. Let's just cuddle, yeah?"

You wipe a tear away, smiling at his offer.