first feed

warnings : baby business

summary : reader breastfeeds her baby for the first time !!

word count : 400

a/n : thanks to those who gave me feedback! enjoy this tooooo<3

It had only been thirty minutes since your birth, and Tom hadn't left your side at all. He was truly mesmerized by you and the baby. Mesmerized by Scarlet's simple, small breaths, and her tiny fingers. Each individual one was perfect to Tom, and when she grabbed onto his finger for the first time, he swore his real life started. His real life with you, as a dad. 

"Mom, dad," A nurse came in, smiling at the newborn and the fresh parents. "Feeding time for the little one." 

"Okay," you said. While you had read on how this would work, you still didn't know the details of what to do and how things would go. But of course, you had Tom, and the nurse, with you to make sure everything would be okay. 

"Is this right? I just-" you were asking the nurse for reassurance, which she gladly gave you.

Tom was watching the whole interaction, in awe at you, and how you gave life to his baby, and took care of her, and now, how you were going to feed her. 

The nurse left after explaining the answers to your several questions. Now, it was just you and Tom and the baby. 

"Are you- are you ... ready? Are you okay?" Tom asked timidly. 

"Yeah- yeah," you replied honestly. 

Now, you were moving the hospital gown further down your chest until it was completely exposed, and helping Scarlet reach the bud. And like magic, she latched on immediately. The feeling was foreign to you, a bit weird at first. But then, you got used to it, and while at first it was somewhat enjoyable, you knew it'd get tiring. 

Tom, who was sitting in a chair right next to your bed, was holding one of your hands. Once again, he was mesmerized. He was completely breathless at the scene displayed in front of him. The love of his life had just created an entire human being in her own body (granted with the help of him). And she had just given birth to one of the most important people, Scarlet. He couldn't even being to describe how strong you were, and he felt so fucking lucky that you had chosen Tom, and trusted him. You were only feeding Scarlet, but to Tom, it was one of the most heartwarming things in the world. 

"Tommy?" you asked. "Why are you crying?"

He had only just realized it, but the tears were falling, and he couldn't pinpoint why. 

"I just-," He quickly swiped one off of his cheek. "I just really love you."