𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮 𝙛𝙞𝙫𝙚

─────── • ❥ • ───────

Now situated in a cheerful café, the same one Renjun and YangYang had visited not so long ago, the pair had found comfort after a whirlwind of a start to this 'date'.

"What's your family like?" Chenle enquired softly as he took delicate sips from his baby marshmallow infested hot chocolate. His sweet tooth was now evident, and quite cute as well. "You don't have to open up to me, obviously.....I was just curious."

"Mhm, it's fine. Like you, I'm from China originally. Mum wasn't married when she got pregnant with me, so my dad took that lame excuse and used it to run off into the sunset without us. We moved to Korea when I was about ten, to start over I guess. We've moved houses a bunch of times 'cause nothing ever feels right. We treat the world like it's me and her against it....My family of two is all I've ever known."

"Wow, I didn't expect that from you. I mean....you're sort of rich, you've got attitude, and you're seemingly against romance. I thought you were just spoiled, to be honest."

"Yeah, I've been told similar thoughts before..."

Chenle smiled warmly as he cupped his mug contentedly. Renjun was so soft when left with some personal space. If there was one thing the younger was good at, it was reading a room. It was easy to adjust to others when he opened his eyes to their comforts and dislikes. "So....how did your mother react to you being gay? Wait, that's a bit personal-"

"Disappointed."

The purplette tensed up, grip tightening on the ceramic utensil now that he felt he'd struck a nerve. "Oh..."

"She was disappointed, but not in the way you'd think," Renjun continued, staring into his black coffee wistfully as he recited his tale. "She has a very low tolerance for men, probably because of Dad. I suppose she always raised me to the best of her abilities to treat everyone right and to stick by justice and to do the right thing. When I was a teenager, I worked out that she didn't want me screwing a girl and leaving that person with a problem."

"But you wouldn't, it seems."

"God, never. Even if I was straight, I'd never even dream of it. But when I told her I was attracted to guys, she suddenly got worried that I'd be treated the way she was. That all men are liars and I'd be left in a horrible little ditch of confusing feelings and pain."

The taller sighed, taking another sip of his drink before placing the mug down on the varnished, wooden table. "Look, from experience I think she's right. I've been beaten down a lot in my few years of life, and I'm a hopeless romantic who trusts in others too much. I've fallen for many....God, I've fallen hard for a lot of assholes. I know why she'd worry about you."

"But you're okay. You've got five boyfriends who, even though I'm skeptical about them, seem genuine and good for you. My mum would literally scream if she watched me come home with multiple men to introduce as my partners. I think I'll stick with being single."