Chapter 11- PS

The Great Hall is full of students eating and talking with each other. There are green and silver banners with the Slytherin symbol above their heads, already indicating the house with the most points. Dumbledore gives a slight nod to professor McGonagall, who then clinks her spoon to her glass, to ask attention from the students. The crowd falls silent. Dumbledore stands up and speaks with his magically magnified voice.

"Another year, gone! And now, as I understand it, the house cup needs awarded and the points stand thus. In fourth place: Gryffindor, with 262 points!" There is medium applause from the crowd. "In third place: Hufflepuff, with 352 points!" The applause for Hufflepuff is slightly louder than the clapping for Gryffindor. "Second: Ravenclaw, with 426 points!" Applause again, this time with a slight cheer from some students. "And in the first place, with 472 points: Slytherin house!" A loud roar rises from the Slytherin table, as students stand up and clap for their selves. Malfoy gives a mean look to the Gryffindor table, where Harry, Ron and Hermione look slightly depressed. "Yes, well done Slytherin, well done Slytherin. However, recent events must be taken into account and I have a few last-minute points to award." Some faces at the Gryffindor table rise hopefully. "First, to Miss Hermione Granger, for the cool use of intellect while others were in grave peril: fifty points!" Hermione looks surprised, while the other Gryffindor students applaud her. Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle don't like what's happening. Hermione looks at Hagrid, who looks back to her with a proud smile. "Second, to Mr Ronald Weasley, for the best-played game of chess that Hogwarts has seen these many years: fifty points!" Ron looks even more surprised than Hermione did and the Gryffindor table is applauding even louder. "And third, to mister Harry Potter, for pure love and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor house: sixty points!" The claps get louder. "To Miss Elizabeth Potter, who defends her friends in a time of need; 60 points!" Cheers arise.

The Gryffindors cheer again, this time even louder than before. Malfoy has a cringing look on his face, while Harry sees a proud, smiling Professor McGonagall at the teacher's table. Hermione, who has done some quick math, whispers to her fellow students.

"We're tied with Slytherin!"

Now, the Gryffindors look really hopeful, as Dumbledore hasn't finished talking yet.

"And finally: it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends. I award ten points to Neville Longbottom!" Neville can't believe what he just heard and the Gryffindors that heard Hermione's whisper are cheering the loudest. Malfoy looks quite uncertain now. "Assuming that my calculations are correct, I believe that a change of decoration is in order!" He motions his hands towards the Slytherin banners, where they flap heavily until the banners have changed completely to red and gold with the Gryffindor symbol. "Gryffindor wins the House Cup!"

The Great Hall exploded with roars and applause, not only from the Gryffindors but also from the Ravenclaws and the Hufflepuffs, because they are glad that, for the first time in seven years, someone else than Slytherin has won the House Cup. Hagrid can't help himself to also cheer, and all students except the Slytherins throw their hats in the air, while Malfoy angrily throws his on the table in defeat. The Gryffindors around Harry are all congratulating him and Harry smiles to Hagrid, who smiles back. Elizabeth smiles at Dumbledore who smiles back then to Professor Snape who slightly smiles and nods.