Chapter 25-OOTP

On they flew through the gathering darkness. Harry's face felt stiff and cold, his legs numb from gripping the Thestral's sides so tightly, but he did not dare to loosen his grip nor shift his position lest he slip.

Hermione and Ginny touched down on either side of him: both slid off their mounts a little more gracefully than Ron, though with similar expressions of relief at being back on firm ground; Neville jumped down, shaking, he helped Elizabeth down too. Luna dismounted smoothly. "Where do we go from, here then?" She asked Harry in a politely interested voice, as though this was all a rather interesting day-trip.

"Over here," he said. He gave his Threstral a quick, grateful pat, then led the way quickly to the battered telephone box and opened the door. "Come on," he urged the others, as they hesitated. Ron and Ginny marched in obediently; Hermione, Neville, Elizabeth and Luna squashed themselves in after, Harry then shut the door after him. "Whoever is nearest to the receiver can you dial Six two four four two!"

Rom did it, his arm bent bizarrely to reach the dial; as it whirred back into place the cool female voice sounded inside the box. "Welcome to the Ministry of Magic. Please state your names and your business."

"Harry Potter, Elizabeth Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, Ginny Weasley, Neville Longbottom and Luna Lovegood," Harry said quickly. "We're here to save someone unless your Ministry can do it first."

"Thank you!" Said the cool female voice. "Visitors, please take the badges and attach them to the front of your robes." Hermione grabbed the badges and passed them around.

"Visitors of the Ministry, you are required to submit to a search and present your wands for registration at the security desk, which is located at the far end of the Atrium."

"Fine!" Harry said loudly as his scar gave another throb. "Can we move now?" The floor of the telephone booth shuddered and the pavement rose up past its glass windows; the scavenging Thestrals were sliding out of sight; blackness closed over their heads with a dull grinding noise they sank down into the depths of the Ministry of Magic.

A chink of soft golden light hit their feet and widening rose up their bodies. Harry bent his knees and held his wand as ready as he could in such cramped conditions as he peered through the glass to see whether anyone was waiting for them in the Atrium but it seemed to be completely empty. The voice came again and the door opened. Harry toppled out of it, followed by Neville, Liz and Luna.

"Come on," Harry whispered and the seven of them rushed down the hall, Harry was in the lead. He felt as though there should be a security guard but there wasn't, increasing the anxiousness.