Chapter 12- OOTP

"Padfoot. Are you barking mad? You'll blow the entire operation," Mad-eye says to Sirius who was in his Animagus form. Harry walks into the waiting room and Mad-eye blocks the door.

"Sirius, what are you doing here? If somebody sees you..." Harry started.

"I had to see you off, didn't I?" Sirius chuckled. "What's life without a little risk?"

"I don't wanna see you get chucked back in Azkaban," said Harry.

"Don't worry about me," Sirius said plainly. "Anyway, I wanted you to have this," he added. Harry took the photograph out of Sirius's hands. "Original Order of the Phoenix."

"Marlene McKinnon." He pointed to a girl with blonde hair. "She was killed two weeks after this was taken. Voldemort wiped out her entire family. Frank and Alice Longbottom."

"Neville's parents," Harry whispered.

"They suffered a fate worse than death, you ask me," Sirius admitted.

"It's been 14 years. And still, a day doesn't go by I don't miss your dad," Sirius said sadly.

"Do you really think there's going to be a war, Sirius?" Harry asked quickly.

"It feels like it did before."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm surprised the Ministry's still letting you walk around free. Better enjoy it while you can. I expect there's a cell in Azkaban with your name on it." Draco taunted. Harry goes for him but is held back by Ron.

"What'd I tell you? Complete nutter," cried Draco

"Just stay away from me!"

"It's only Malfoy. What'd you expect?" Elizabeth muttered. "Piss off Malfoy!"

"Hi, guys," Neville said to the four as he approached the carriages.

"Hey, Neville," Ron said.

"Hey there, Neville," replied Harry.

"What is it?" Hermione asked Harry who looked confused.

"What's what?" Harry asked.

"That. Pulling the carriage." Elizabeth saw what Harry saw. It was a horse-like skeleton. Manifesting as black, skeletal, bat-winged horses, but invisible to all who have never been truly touched by death, Thestrals have a somewhat macabre reputation. In centuries past the sight of them was regarded as unlucky; they have been hunted and ill-treated for many years, their true nature (which is kindly and gentle) being widely misunderstood. Thestrals are not marks of ill omen, nor (their spooky appearance notwithstanding) are they in any way threatening to humans, always allowing for the fright that the first sight of them tends to give the observer.

"Nothing's pulling the carriage, Harry," Hermione said slowly. "It's pulling itself, like always."

"You're not going mad. I can see them too." A girl with blonde hair said dreamily. "You're just as sane as I am."

"Everyone, this is Loony Love..." Elizabeth gave her a look. Hermione quickly corrected herself. "Luna Lovegood." There was a moment of silence before someone spoke. "What an interesting necklace."

"It's a charm, actually," Luna said in the same dreamily manner. "Keeps away the Nargles." She added as she lent forward. She turned her head and sighed. "Hungry. I hope there's pudding."

"What's a Nargle?" Ron whispered to Elizabeth.

"No idea."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Good evening, children," Dumbledore greeted. "Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank... who'll be taking Care of Magical Creatures... while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave. We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher... Professor Dolores Umbridge. And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck. Now, as usual, our caretaker, Mr Filch, has asked me to remind you..."

"She was at my hearing. She works for Fudge," Harry whispered.

"Thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright... happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends," Umbridge spoke.

"That's likely," George and Fred both said sarcastically. Elizabeth giggled quietly.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered... the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster... has brought something new to this historic school... progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved... perfect what can be perfected... and prune practices that ought to be prohibited." Umbridge's voice continued to speak out.

"Thank you, Professor Umbridge. That really was most... illuminating."

"Illuminating? What a load of waffle" Fred muttered.

"What's it mean?" Neville asked.

"It means the Ministry's interfering at Hogwarts." Stated Hermione.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Dean, Seamus. Good holiday?" Harry greeted.

"All right.Better than Seamus', anyway," Dean admitted.

"Me mum didn't want me to come back this year," Seamus sneered.

"Why not?" Harry asked confused.

"Let me see. Because of you. The Daily Prophet's been saying a lot of things about you and Dumbledore."

"What, your mum believes them?"

"Nobody was there the night Cedric died."

"I guess you should read the Prophet, then, like your stupid mother." Harry continued.

"Don't talk about my mother."

"I'll have a go at anyone that calls me a liar."

"What's going on?" Elizabeth asked stepping into the common room.

"He's mad, is what's going on, do you believe the rubbish he's come out with about You-Know-Who?"

"Yeah. I do." Elizabeth says. "Because in case you've all forgotten, I was there when Cedric was killed! Has anyone else got a problem with Harry?" She asked. Everyone looked down, "Good."

"You all right?" Ron asks the raven-haired boy.

"Fine," Harry replied shortly.

"Seamus was bang out of order, mate. But he'll come through, you'll see."

"I said, I'm fine, Ron," sighed Harry

"Right. I'll just leave you to your thoughts, then," the red-head hesitantly went up to his dorm.