Chapter 8- HBP

"So, Snape was offering to help him? He was definitely offering to help him?" 

"If you ask that one more time," said Harry. "I'm going to stick this sprout-" 

"I'm only checking!" Said Ron. They stood alone in the kitchen of the borrow, talking about what Harry had heard the previous day before leaving for Christmas break while peeling sprouts. 

"Yes, Snape was offering to help him!" Said, Harry. "He said he promised to Malfoy's mother to protect him and Elizabeth, that he made an unbreakable oath or something." 

"An unbreakable vow?" Ron said stunned. "Nah he can't have... Are you sure?" 

"Yes, i'm sure. What does it mean?" 

"Well if you break the unbreakable vow, you die," Ron explained. "Fred and George tried to get me to make one when I was five. Dad found out and went absolutely mad. Don't think I've seen as angry as that." 

"Fred, George, I'm sorry dears but Remus and Sirius are arriving tonight so Bill will have to stay in your room." 

"No problem!" Said George. 

"Then as charlie isn't coming home, that just leaves Harry and Ron in the attic, and if Fleur and Elizabeth share with Ginny-"

"That'll make Ginny's Christmas," George said. Molly wondered out the kitchen, Fred and George wondered after. 

"Did you tell Lupin about Snape and Elizabeth?" Harry nodded. 

"I sent an owl as soon as I got here."

Harry had not been able to talk to Mr. Weasley as he was working very long hours at the ministry. That was up until Christmas eve.  

He told Mr. Weasley everything he had overheard between Malfoy and Snape. As Harry spoke, he saw Lupin's head turn a little towards him, taking in every word. When he had finished, there was silence, except for the music in the background. 

"Has it occurred to you Harry," started Mr. Weasley. "that Snape was simply pretending-"

"Pretending to offer help so that he could find out what Malfoy's up to?" replied Harry. "Yeah, i thought that. But how do we know?"

"It isn't our business to know," said Lupin unexpectedly. He had turned his back on the fire and was now facing Harry. "It's dumbledore's business. Dumbledore trusts Severus and that ought to be good enough for all of us." 

"But just say- just say Dumbledore is wrong about Snape-" 

"People have said it, many times. It comes down to whether or not you trust Dumbledore's judgment. I do, therefore, I trust Severus."

"We shall never become friends," said Lupin. 

"After all that happened between me, James, and Severus, there is too much bitterness there," Sirius spoke for the first time. Lupi agreed. 

"I do not forget that during the year I taught at Hogwarts, Severus made the Wolfsbane Potion for me every month, made it perfectly, so that I did not have to suffer as I usually do at the full moon."

"But he 'accidentally' let it slip that you're a werewolf, so you had to leave!" Harry said angrily.  Lupin shrugged. 

"The news would have leaked out anyway. We both know he wanted my job. He could have wreaked much worse damage o me by tampering with the potion. He kept me healthy. I must be grateful."

"You're too kind for your own good Remus," Elizabeth said walking into the living room. "You always see the best in people."

"What have you been up to lately?" Harry asked Lupin as Mr. Weasley rushed off to fetch the egg-nog. 

"Oh, I've been underground," said Lupin. "Almost literally. That's why I haven't been able to send letters to either of you. It would have given something away."

"What do you mean?" 

"I've been living with my equals, werewolves." Elizabeth shook her head slightly. 

"They are all on Voldemort's side. They believe they'll get a better life if they follow him. And as hard as it is to argue with Greyback out there-"

"Who's Greyback?"

"You haven't heard of him?" Asked Lupin. "Fenrir Greyback is, perhaps the most savage werewolf alive today. He regards it as his mission in life to bite and to contaminate as many people as possible, he wants to create enough werewolves to overcome the wizards. Voldemort has promised prey in return for his services. Greyback specializes in... children, bites them young. It was Greyback who bit me."