Chapter 16- OOTP

The second detention was just as bad as the previous one. The skin on the back of Harry's hand had become irritated more quickly now and was soon red and inflamed. Hary thought it was unlikely that it would keep healing as effectively for long. Soon the cut would remain etched into his hand and Umbridge would, perhaps, be satisfied. He let no gasp of pain escape his mouth, however from the moment of entering the room after his dismissal, again past midnight, he said nothing but "good evening" and "goodnight".

His homework situation was now desperate, when he returned to the Gryffindor common room he did not, though exhausted, go to bed he opened his books and began Snape's moonstone essay. It was half-past two when he had finally finished it. He knew he had done a poor job but there was no help for it. He then dashed off answers to the questions McGonagall had set them, cobbled together something on the proper handling of Bowtruckles for Professor Grubbly-plank, and staggered up to bed, where he fell fully clothed on top of the covers and fell asleep immediately.

Thursday passed in a haze of tiredness. Ron seemed very sleepy too, though Harry could not see why he should be. Harry's third detention passed in the same way as the previous two, except the after two hours the words 'I must not tell lies' had not faded from his hand. It oozed droplets of blood. The paused in the pointed quill scratching made Professor Umbridge lookup. "Ah," she said as she moved around her desk to inspect the hand herself. "Good, that ought to serve as a reminder to you, you may leave."
"Do I still have to come back tomorrow?" Said Harry, picking up his school bag with his left hand rather than his smarting right one.
"Oh yes," said Professor Umbridge, smiling as widely as before. "Yes, I think we can etch the message a little deeper with another evening's work." Harry had never before considered the possibility that there might be another teacher in the world he hated more than Snape, but as he walked back towards the Gryffindor Common Tower he had to admit he had found a strong contender. She's evil, he thought as he climbed the staircase to the seventh floor, she's an evil, twisted, mad old pink porcupine, toad face looking witch who has a weird thirst for Cornelius Fudge.