Chapter 6- HBP

Ron, who was supposed to be jinxing Harry, was purple in the face, his lips tightly compressed to save himself from the temptation of muttering the spell. Hary had his raised, waiting on tenterhooks to repel a jinx that seemed unlikely to come. 

"Pathetic, Weasley," said Snape after evaluating them. "Here- let me show you-" He turned his wand on Harry so fast that Harry reacted instinctively; all thought of non-verbal spell forgotten as he yelled "Protego!" His shield charm was so strong, Snape had been knocked off his feet and hit a desk. The whole class had looked around and now watched as Snape righted himself, scowling. 

"Do you remember that we a learning non-verbal spells, Potter?" 

"Yes," Harry replied stiffly. 

"Yes, sir."

"There's no need to call me sir, Professor." The words had left before he knew what he was saying. Several people gasped, including Hermione. However, behind Snape, Dean, Ron and Seamus grinned appreciatively. Elizabeth was trying so hard not to laugh. 

"Detention, Saturday night, my office," said Snape. "I do not take cheek from anyone Potter, not even the.... Chosen One." 

"That was brilliant Harry," Chortled Ron, once they were safely on their way to break a short while later. 

"You really shouldn't have said it," said Hermione, frowning at Ron. "What made you?" 

"He tried to jinx me if you hadn't noticed." Fumed Harry. "I had enough of that during those Occlumency lessons! Why doesn't he use another guinea pig for a change? What's Dumbledore playing at, letting him teach defence? Did you hear him talking about the Dark Arts? He loves them! All that unfixed, indestructible stuff." 

"I thought he sounded a bit like you," said Elizabeth walking next to them with her hand intertwined in Neville's.  

"Like me?" 

"Yes, when you were telling us what it was like to face Voldemort. You said it wasn't about just memorizing a bunch of spells, you said it was just you and your brains and your gut- well, wasn't that what Snape was saying? That it really comes down to being brave and quick-thinking?" 

The next lesson was for the trio was advanced potions while Elizabeth and Neville had study hour so, they made their way over to the great hall.