Chapter 5- OOTP

"Okay, Harry... what do you want to know?" Harry takes a deep breath and asks the question that has obsessed him for the last month.

"Where's Voldemort?" he says, ignoring the renewed shudders and winces at the name. "What's he doing? I've been trying to watch the Muggle news, and there hasn't been anything that looks like him yet, no funny deaths or anything."

"That's because there haven't been any funny deaths yet," says Sirius, "not as far as we know, anyway... and we know quite a lot."

"More than he thinks we do, anyway," says Lupin.

"How come he's stopped killing people?" Harry asks. He knows Voldemort had murdered more than once in the last year alone.

"Because he doesn't want to draw attention to himself," says Sirius. "It would be dangerous for him. His comeback didn't come off quite the way he wanted it to, you see. He messed it up."

"Or rather, you messed it up for him," says Lupin, with a satisfied smile.

"How?" Harry asks, perplexed.

"You weren't supposed to survive!" responds Sirius. "Nobody apart from his Death Eaters was supposed to know he'd come back. But you survived to bear witness."

"And the very last person he wanted to be alerted to his return the moment he got back wasDumbledore," says Lupin. "And you made sure Dumbledore knew at once."

"How has that helped?" Harry asks.

"Are you kidding?" says Bill incredulously. "Dumbledore was the only one You-Know-Who was ever scared of!"

"Thanks to you, Dumbledore was able to recall the Order of the Phoenix about an hour after Voldemort returned," says Sirius.

"So, what's the Order been doing?" says Harry, looking around at them all.

"Working as hard as we can to make sure Voldemort can't carry out his plans," says Sirius.

"How d'you know what his plans are?" Harry asks quickly.

"Dumbledore's got a shrewd idea,' says Lupin, "and Dumbledore's shrewd ideas normally turn out to be accurate."

"So what does Dumbledore reckon he's planning?"

"Well, firstly, he wants to build up his army again," says Sirius. "In the old days, he had huge numbers at his command: witches and wizards he'd bullied or bewitched into following him, his faithful Death Eaters, a great variety of Dark creatures. You heard him planning to recruit the giants; well, they'll be just one of the groups he's after. He's certainly not going to try and take on the Ministry of Magic with only a dozen Death Eaters."

"So you're trying to stop him getting more followers?"

"We're doing our best," says Lupin.

"How?"

"Well, the main thing is to try and convince as many people as possible that You-Know-Who really has returned, to put them on their guard," says Bill. "It's proving tricky, though."

"Why?"

"Because of the Ministry's attitude," joins Tonks. "You saw Cornelius Fudge after You-Know-Who came back, Harry. Well, he hasn't shifted his position at all. He's absolutely refusing to believe it's happened."

"But why?" asks Harry desperately. "Why's he being so stupid? If Dumbledore -"

"Ah, well, you've put your finger on the problem," says Mr Weasley with a wry smile. "Dumbledore."

"Fudge is frightened of him, you see," says Tonks sadly.

"Frightened of Dumbledore?" says Harry incredulously.