Chapter 13- OOTP

"Good morning, children. Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations. O-W-Ls. More commonly known as OWLs. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe. Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven," Umbridge said cheerfully. She looked around the room. "But you'll be pleased to know, from now on... you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved... course of defensive magic. Yes?" She continued. She was a petite woman, around 5 foot was Elizabeth's guess.

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?" Hermione questioned.

"Using spells?" Umbridge chuckled. "Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"We're not gonna use magic?" The red-haired Weasley replied.

"You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way."

"What use is that? If we're attacked, it won't be risk-free," Harry pointed out.

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class," The toad replied. Madison scoffed. "It is the view of the Ministry... that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient... to get you through your examinations... which, after all, is what school is all about."

"And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry asked.

"There is nothing out there, dear. Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?"

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe Lord Voldemort."

"Now, let me make this quite plain. You have been told... that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie," the pink toad said after a second. In that second, showed fear in her eyes.

"It's not a lie. I saw him. I fought him," Harry objected.

"Detention, Mr Potter."

"Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord?" Harry continued.

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident."

"It was murder. Voldemort killed him!"

"Enough!" Umbridge shouts taking everyone by surprise. "Enough," she repeated quietly. "See me later, Mr Potter. My office."