Chapter 25

The entire group stayed in one house together our first night. I sat with dad, "you took off today." I nodded, "a boy from the community wanted to show me around." Dad sighed pushing his head back, "what was he like?" I shrugged, "entitled." He laughed, "they don't know what it's like out there." I nodded, "did the prison blow up." Dad pulled me in, "I love you Leah, so much." I closed my eyes, "dad answer the question." He looked away, "the part that Liam was in blew up." I sighed, "do you know for sure that no one helped him out? Maybe he got on the bus?" Dad nodded, "no one else
on that bus survived." I lay back turning away, "goodnight."

When we got up the next morning I went upstairs showering early. The hot water hitting my skin felt blissful I was hesitant to ever get out. After scrubbing myself down, and cleaning my hair I dried myself off standing in the mirror. My hair was down to my waist now, sticking coldly to my wet back. I dried my face and smiled in awe of myself, I looked better than I had in a long time. I ate a small breakfast and then let myself outside again.

I walked the streets shocked at how this community was still standing. "What do you think?" I turned to see Daryl beside me. "Honestly, I wish Beth could've seen this." He nodded, "she would've loved it." I
smiled, "I think I like it." He nudged me and I noticed Ron coming towards us. "Think you got yourself a friend already." I laughed meeting Ron halfway. "Want to hang out with us?" I noticed as he pointed to a girl who looked about my age. I agreed following them back to his house. "Why don't you try a video game?" I shrugged looking at all the things he had in his room. "I'll watch." The girl stared at me she seemed to study me. "That's Enid." I nodded in acknowledgment picking up one of Rons books. "I'm Leah." I finally answered. The girl didn't give me any sign that she cared so I sat down watching Ron fight off zombies in a video game. "Too bad their not actually like that." Carl said standing in the doorway.

Ron laughed handing him a controller, and Carl seemed as overwhelmed as I did. Ron smiled at him, "don't talk much, took Enid three weeks to say something." I turned to the girl now interested in her. She stared at Carl, "get it together sport." I scoffed, leaving the house, I had enough of her for now. Dianne met me almost directly on the stairs, "come with me dear." I nodded following her back to what appeared to be her home.

"I just want to get a sense of who you are, this is my husband Reggie." I gave him a small smile and followed her into another room with a camera. "You're thirteen am I right?" I nodded studying her office. "What do you think of this place?"
I shrugged, "it's interesting, seems out of touch with the world." She smiled, "care to elaborate." I agreed, "sure, your kids play video games with zombies. They don't know what it's like. I don't think any of you do." Dianne crossed her arms, "Leah, we want you to have a childhood now." I scoffed, "does a normal childhood involve shooting your own mother, and watching people who have become your family die, knowing you can't do a DAMN thing about it. Don't talk to me about a childhood because I can tell you I'm long over playing stupid video games. Do you know what it's like out there. DO YOU? Talk to me then, and only then." I heard the door open and Daryl kicked it open. "Your here right on time." Dianne smiled. I angrily stood up, "get a grip. It's not all sunshine's and rainbows, sooner or later this place will fall to and you'll understand what I'm talking about."

Diane placed her arm on my shoulder, "this place is different Leah. You're safe here." I rolled my eyes turning to Daryl, "and you're a liar, or maybe you're just plain stupid." Daryl pulled me out of the room, "these people aren't worth it, they don't understand don't try and reason with her." I shook my head and left her house frustrated.