Chapter 22

When we got to our new campsite in the forest I saw Carl first, he ran over wrapping his arms around me. This embrace made me fight back my tears once again. "Leah... me and dad.. we didn't think." He started. I shook my head, "no I'm here, I'm okay." Carl nodded looking at me sadly, "are you okay?" I shrugged, "I was with Daryl and Beth. After everything. Then we got separated me and Beth wound up in a hospital, and the leader... she killed Beth." Carl's mouth hung open. He pulled me in again, "I'm so sorry." I gave him a small smile, "I missed you." I looked over at Judith laying in her seat, it was a miracle she survived. I picked her up and she immediately reached her arm out trying to pull my hair. "I missed you," I said smiling at her. "Bet she missed you more." Maggie said.

I set Judith back down, "Maggie... I'm so sorry. I didn't know Beth was gonna try and kill her if I did I would've helped or did something...." Maggie immediately started crying. "It's not your fault Leah, I'm so happy you were there with her." I gave Maggie a hug, "I wish I would've done something." She nodded, "me too." I sat down beside the fire with Maggie, "she had her first drink," I told her. She looked at me, "she drank?" I scoffed, "she forced me and Daryl to help find her a drink. It was moonshine." Maggie stuck her tongue out, "of all drinks." I laughed, "we didn't have much choice trust me." I sat with Maggie the entire night, I was filled with guilt, I know it all happened so fast but a part of me believes I could've stopped it, saved her.

Dad left with Noah, promising to take him back to his community so it left me Carl Maggie Daryl Carol Tyrese Sasha, and then some new people Rosita, Eugene, and Abraham. I walked over to Carl, "what's gonna happen next?" He asked. I shrugged, "we're gonna keep pushing." I watched Daryl slip into the woods. "I just want somewhere for Judith to grow up, be safe." I smiled down at my baby sister, "me too. Hi Judy." She giggled as I softly tickled her stomach. "I'm just gonna check the woods quick." Carl nodded, "be careful."

I followed Daryls footsteps until I saw him leaned up against a tree. "Daryl," I whispered so that he new I was there. "What're you doing out here?" I bit my lip, "are you okay?" He scoffed, "are you?" I shook my head no, "I was there with her, i can't stop thinking that there was something I could've done." He shrugged, "that's what I'm thinking." I walked over and without thinking hugged him. "It's not your fault, you fought off the walkers, I should've stayed alert gotten us to a safe place." Daryl sighed, "there's nothing we can do now. She's gone." I nodded, looking up at the sky. "Cheers Beth," I whispered holding my middle finger up to the sky. I looked to see Daryl doing the same. "I'm sorry kid." I shook my head, "she was a good one." He nudged me and together we made our way back to the vehicles.

I sat alone by a van, staring out at the field in front of me. I pushed my hands together and set my head against them. "I don't know who I'm praying too because of there is a god he wouldn't do this to anyone, at least I didn't believe he would. First my mom, I needed her. Then Beth, the girl who was like my sister, took care of me when I couldn't in that hospital. It's not fair, I don't want to live like this wondering who we're going to lose next. This isn't living, it's surviving. I don't want to do this anymore, I don't want to lose anyone else. I'm trying to be alright for my dad, and Carl, and Judith, but I'm thirteen. I wouldn't have even been in high school, I wanted a life. Just please no one else. Please."

I forced myself up when I heard the our vehicle come back from the community. I watched everyone file out, and my dad placed his arm around Sasha. I took another take and noticed her brother never came back. I bit my lip turning away pushing back my tears. "Guess there isn't a God."