Chapter 66

As soon as I saw the gates to Alexandria I opened my door stepping out of the car. "I'm so sorry Leah." I rolled my eyes, "go home Jesus, everyone's sorry but it doesn't change shit."

I waved my hand indicating to the guards to open the gate. I opened the front door and I saw Carl, Judith and Michonne at the table eating dinner. I didn't break eye contact with them until I had reached the stairs. I walked up them quickly sliding down my bedroom wall as soon as I had shut the door.

Only seconds later I heard footsteps run up the stairs behind me. "What happened?" I leaned my head back against the wall letting tears fall down. "Which part do you want to hear about? The one where Dad killed a little baby's father because we had no choice? The part where we ran into Morales, and he held a knife up to my throat, or maybe you'd like to hear about the part where I found Benjamin's killer, but they didn't let me kill him."

Carl sat down pulling me onto him so my face was against his shoulder. "I don't want to cry, but why wouldn't they let me kill Jared. He's a murderer, and he was happy about it too Carl." He sighed, "losing people is a part of life Leah." I turned to face him, "what the hell is that even supposed to mean?" Carl sighed, "I know Benjamin meant a lot to you. But so did a lot of other people. We've learned to accept that people die." I scoffed, "I have Carl. But when someone kills someone I care about they need to know there is consequences. Jared needs to die." Carl nodded, "it doesn't matter if you cry, because everyone does. And you just had a really really shitty day." I bit my lip, "I should've listened to dad. I should have just stayed here with you." Carl shook his head, "I'm glad you didn't."

I sat up, "did something happen today? Why are you being all accept that people die, and whatever." Carl smiled, "it's been a day for me too." I nodded leaning back against him, "tell me about it. Every detail." He shook his head, "I decided to go leave food for that man we met at the gas station." I smiled, "so you go help someone in need, and I watched hundreds of people die, and still wanted to kill Jared. Why are you such a good person?" Carl sighed, "if I was there with you Leah, and it was just the two of us. I would help you kill him. I'm not good, I just knew that guy needed help. Mom always told us to do what's right, helping him seemed right. I don't know why but it just did." I closed my eyes, "I have you and I'm thankful for that. I have dad, I have Judith, and everyone here." Carl nodded, "it's been nice having a sister and a best friend." I looked down, "do you think we would've been this close if the world hadn't gone to shit." Carl smiled, "I'd hope so."

I wiped my face off sighing, "I'll never get used to losing people. I'll never accept it, and I'll always want to hurt the people who hurt my friends." Carl nodded, "I know, but killing isn't always the answer Leah." I bit my lip, "why are you so reasonable, you're trying so hard to be a good person and I'm not." Carl laughed, "tomorrow we're gonna spend the day together. Promise? You're not going off to watch any more fighting, just for one day." I nodded, "that's probably a good idea."

He stood up giving me his hand, "lay down, I'll bring up some dinner." I sat down on my sleeping bag looking up when I saw Michonne walk in carrying Judith. "I think she missed her big sister." I smiled as Michonne set her down and Judith crawled over to me grabbing onto my hands. "I heard about today, from Carl." I nodded standing Judith up. "We're going to win this fight, and then you can kill Jared, I promise you I will do everything I can to help you get him." I smiled, "I appreciate that." She bent down picking Judith back up, "I'm always on your side, goodnight Leah."

When I heard Carl come back in I finally closed my eyes. "I'm excited for tomorrow Carl," I whispered, I heard him roll over, "me too. Night Leah."