Chapter 130

"Go lay down." I turned away sinking down on the edge of the bed, softly shaking my head, and his eyes widened. "You know those people out there, Pope's enemies. You're with that group. That's why you're so upset." I shrugged, "maybe I am, what's it matter now?" He sat down beside me, "what else have you lied about?" I met his eyes, "I'm not telling you anything except that the people you tried to kill, they were my family. Not blood. But family."

He didn't say anything and I sighed, "what are you going to do to me?" He slowly turned his head, "why are you telling me this?" I looked away, "because they're really good people, and they have children they're trying to feed. Now I'm asking you what are you going to do to me?" He sighed, "you lied." I nodded, "I'm sorry, you get why I had to though. Right?" He met my eyes, "I'm not going to hurt you. And I'm not going to tell Pope." I pursed my lips, "why not?" He scoffed, "because you fucking made me care." He said this like it was a terrible thing. I shrugged, "you made me care too."

He pulled me closer to him and I wrapped my hands around his neck letting my tears soak into his shoulder. "You know what this means?" I asked him. He put his fingers through my hair and I did the same breathing him in. "I know exactly what this means, when it comes down to choosing sides, you're with them." I sighed as he held me tighter, "come with me." He put his face against mine so our noses were just touching, "I can't."

We pushed away as the door slammed open. "CARVER." Pope screamed from the doorway. He marched into the bedroom staring at the two of us. "The enemy is here." I jumped slightly as a loud explosion sounded from somewhere outside. "What was that?" I asked. Pope glared at me, "we're blowing them to pieces. There are landmines surrounding this place. They aren't getting in." He then turned to Carver, "meet up at the guard tower."

As he left the room I stayed there frozen as the explosions were ringing through my ears. I felt his finger brush my cheek and I stepped back staring at him as he brushed a piece of hair away from cheek, "you picked your side Leah, and you picked the wrong one." I didn't move, "it doesn't matter now. They're gonna die." He put his hand on my shoulder, "they are. You don't have too. You better make your choice soon." I bit my lip, "I don't want to lose you." He sighed, "I know. But that's not a promise I can keep." I closed my eyes, and I felt him pull me into his chest and I held on. "Don't you dare die," I whispered. He pulled away just enough so that our faces were touching, "don't you dare die."

I followed him up to the guard post and stared down as hundreds of walkers were working their way around the explosions. I made eye contact with Daryl who was up here with Leah and he lifted his hand slightly to point down to the walls. I looked to where he was pointing and my eyes widened when I saw two figures sneaking towards the back wall.

I pushed myself away from the ledge, "I'm going to grab amo." Leah looked at me, "you're not gonna need it." I sighed, "you can't be too safe." Carver looked at me shaking his head slowly but I ignored him, I jumped down from my ledge and circled around the main building. I saw one guard standing alone, "I'm Leah." The man looked down at my extended hand and turned away, "and I don't care." I smiled, "that makes this a lot easier." I jumped forward driving my knife into the back of his neck. When I was sure he was dead I pulled him out of sight.

The next two guards I ran into both had their backs to me. I reached down into my pocket for my other knife and held both ready. I quietly snuck up behind them and I took a deep breathing driving both knives into their skulls. I had to stab one of them a few times before I could tell he was actually dead. I looked around dragging both of them away.

"Leah," I heard someone whisper. Slowly I turned around, Maggie was hiding behind a wall. I checked around me one more time and ran over to her. "I've taken a few out already." She nodded, "I watched. Come with me."

I followed her behind to a red truck. "I'll jump start it. Keep watch." I did as she said standing back as a man came running towards where we were. Maggie was ducked down and I hid behind the box of the truck.

He didn't see us until Maggie got the truck to start. "What the hell?" He whispered. I jumped onto the box of the truck, holding on tightly as she ripped around the corner. "GET READY." She kept her foot on the pedal, and I hitched myself over the back of the truck rolling on the ground a few times before I watched it drive straight through the gate. I picked myself up sprinting towards the closest building. Walkers began flooding in and I turned around lifting my gun up to point at the guards here.

I shot two down and watched as some turned their attention to me. I kept shooting until I ran out of bullets. "Fuck," I took off in a run. "Maggie." I called running into her. We put our backs together and I watched as Daryl and Negan both came into our circle helping us fight them off. "You got to be kidding," Negan whispered watching as they all retreated. "What's the hells going on?" I asked confused. I narrowed my eyes desperate to find Carver, alive. Every single one of them ran away, it was just us left with the walkers. "Pope's dead," Daryl whispered. I took a deep breath, Carver wasn't going to forgive us for that.