Chapter 87

"Leah." I heard Judith call from upstairs. "I'm down here." She ran down the stairs holding something in her hand. "Mom brought me something. She told me I could give it to you as a gift." I took the object from her bringing it up to my eye, it was a statue of a sherif holding up a gun. If dad was an artifact this would be him, they looked identical. I stared at it folding it around in my hands. "Do you like it?" I nodded, "I love it. But I think you should keep it. I have lots of other things to remember Dad by." She gave me a small smile, "did you ever have a mom too?" I sighed siting down putting RJ in my lap. "I had an amazing mom. She was brave, and always put her children before herself." Judith nodded, "what happened to her?" I looked at the time, "that's a story for another day. Go grab your pyjamas, I'll be up in a minute."

I turned around as the door opened and Michonne walked back in. RJ immediately reached out for her and I smiled, as she took him back. "Judith asked about my mom today, and about Dad." Michonne nodded, "I knew that would happen one day. It's up to you how much you tell her." I bit my lip, "I told her it's a story for another day... I saw the artifact you found. Looked just like Dad." She smiled, "I knew you'd like it." I laughed as RJ grabbed a handful of her hair, "I told Judith to keep it, she deserves something to help her remember him." Michonne and I both turned as we saw Judith walking down the stairs.

She was holding Dads old gun looking down at us. "Judith Grimes." Michonne scolded. "You said Dad would've wanted me to have it. To protect myself and the people I love." I nodded, "yes he would've wanted that, but not yet. We're the ones supposed to be protecting you." She nodded, "is that why your kicking those people out? I think Dad would've wanted me to do what I did yesterday too." Michonne sighed, "he would've been proud. You're brother too." Judith shook her head, "then why won't you help them?" Michonne just looked at her, "you'll understand someday."

Judith made her way down the stairs, "I know you talk to him sometimes Mom, to Carl too. I'm starting to forget their voices, I'm not trying to but they keep fading away. I hope you can still hear them." She turned around running back up the stairs, leaving the sherif toy on the railing. I turned to look at Michonne, but RJ came running over wrapping his arms around her.

I sighed turning around and opening the front door walking outside. "Haven't seen you in a while kid." I heard a voice growl. "Because I haven't wanted to talk to you in a while Negan." I grabbed the keys walking down and sitting in front of his cell. "You still going out there everyday?" I shook my head, "I gave up? Is that what you wanted to hear. He's dead." Negan sighed, "took you five damn years." I put my head in my hands, "god you're still a complete asshole." Negan nodded, "I'm sorry about your dad." I scoffed, "I know that's a lie. You wanted him dead five years ago nothings changed." He gave me a small smile, "that's not true, I'm a changed man." I put my head back against the wall, "I don't care what kind of man you are, because I don't care about you." He nodded, "well I care about you. I mean I owe it to Carl, maybe even Rick." I laughed harshly, "you don't care about me, you wanted to kill me." Negan nodded, "I know what that boy did to you, and that made me want to kill him. That's when I first knew I cared." I stood up, "you don't know shit about shit Negan. That boy didn't do anything to me."

Michonne waited in the kitchen for me, "I just talked to Judith." I nodded, "what are you doing about those new people?" She sighed, "I'm taking them to Hilltop. You don't have to worry." I sat down, "I'm not scared." She gave me a small smile, "I am. I don't want to ever watch you go through something like that again." I nodded, "I really don't want to talk about it." She stood up, "I'm riding to Hilltop in the morning if I don't see you." I bit my lip, "I'll see you when you get back."