Chapter 57

I watched as a man rode up on a horse. "What are you doing on kingdom property?" I put my hands up, "I'm from Alexandria, I need to speak with the king." He nodded, "you look terrible. Are you hurt?" I sighed feeling the pain in my shoulder more as soon as he said that. "Yes." The man held out his hand helping me onto the horse.

When we had riden up to the gates I saw Benjamin standing there waiting at the gates. "Leah?" He asked. I grabbed his hand as he helped me down from the horse. "Is Daryl here?" He shook his head, "he just left, here let me help you." I nodded putting my weight onto him. "I'm going help her clean up then I'll take her to the king," he informed the guards.

He took me into his home where another little boy sat. "This is my brother, Henry." I gave him a smile smile, "I'm Leah." The boy just looked at me. "I bet I look awful, do you have showers here?" Benjamin smiled leading me into his bathroom. He turned on the taps for me, putting the water to the right temperature. "You're going to tell me what happened, after you're cleaned up." I nodded pulling down my jeans as he closed the door.

I washed all the walker guts off my body and then washed my hair and body. Sighing I turned off the water stepping out. I saw Benjamin had left me some clothes. The pants were too big, so I slipped on my other jeans and wore his shirt which hung down to my knees. I brushed out my hair and then opened the door. Benjamin rushed out when he heard the door open. "Do you feel better? The king wants to talk to you." I bit my lip, and he stepped forward putting his arms around me. "What are you doing?" I whispered. He continued to hold me, "I'm hugging you, because you don't look okay." I held on closing my eyes, "thank you."

He stepped back feeling for my hand, "I'll take you to the king, and I'll stay there the entire time." I sighed squeezing back, as he took us outside and towards a stadium looking building.

He opened the door holding it open for me and I walked inside seeing a man with giant dreadlocks sitting beside a tiger. "You must be Leah. We hadn't met last time. I believe Benjamin here was showing you around." I nodded, not saying anything. "What brought you here, my guard said you showed up, hurt and bloodied." I bit my lip, "they tried to take me." The king looked at me, "who did?" I sighed, "the saviours." He stood up, "and you escaped? How?" I looked down, "I jumped out of the truck and I ran. I covered myself in walker guts to get through a herd and now I'm here, I'm sorry I didn't know where else to go." Benjamin placed his hand on my back, "please let her stay." The king held out his hand, "you're safe here Leah." I gave him a small smile, "thank you." He placed a hand on my shoulder, "Benjamin will keep you safe." Benjamin looked down at me, "of course I will."

I took Benjamin's hand as he pulled us back to his house. "It's Henry's bedtime, I'm going to read him a story, and then I'll be out to make you something to eat." I nodded sitting down at his kitchen table. "I'll be five minutes." I looked out the window, watching as the sky was getting darker. "I'm back." I stood up as he walked to his fridge. "Do you like sandwiches?" I nodded, and he grabbed my hand leading me back to my chair. "Sit down. I can't even imagine what you've been through today."

I laughed, "compared to half the things I've done, this is nothing." He set a plate down in front of me, "I know. But that doesn't mean you don't deserve a break." I ate the sandwich he made and then smiled as he grabbed my plate washing it for me. "Are you tired?" I nodded, "thank you for everything." He smiled, "my rooms upstairs to the left I'll take the couch." I shook my head, "it's your room, your community I'm fine." Benjamin laughed, "how about you just come and sleep with me?" I sighed standing up, "if you insist."

He grabbed my hand pulling us upstairs and I thanked him as he passed me a shirt and a pair of shorts to sleep in. "When did they do that to you?" Benjamin asked pointing at my arm that had saviour carved into it. I laid down, "after we took out an entire saviour outpost." He grabbed my arm tracing his fingers over the scar, "are you sure you're alright." I pulled my arm away, "believe me, I'm more than alright. I couldn't imagine what they'd be doing to me if I stayed and went to their compound." He fell beside me and I felt him rollover and plant a gentle kiss on my forehead. "Goodnight Leah." I smiled to myself, "night."