Chapter 109

I went back home and packed a backpack to take out with us. I looked up at the wall where the picture of just Carl and I was taped up. I pressed my finger against his face, "I'm sorry," I whispered to him. "You alright?" I saw Daryl standing at my door. I gave him a small smile, "I'm just finishing packing." He nodded sitting down on Carl's bed. "Why are you saying sorry to Carl?" I shrugged, "he died saving Siddiq and now Siddiq is dead, just feels like it was for nothing." Daryl shook his head, "Carl died to show us what the world could look like." I sighed, "you're right." He gave me a small smile, "alright let's go."

Aaron, Daryl, Carol and I took off, and met Connie, Jerry and Magna halfway to the borders. "Let's get these freaks," Magna whispered. I gave Connie a hug, and said hello to Jerry as we began our walk. "How was Rosita?" Magna asked me. I shrugged, "as good as can be expected."

We walked well into night and I pulled on a plain black sweater, pulling it in close to me. It was one of Carl's and it felt right wearing it today. "You good?" Daryl asked. I smiled, "I'm fine, you don't have to check on me every five minutes you know." He nodded, "I know that. I want to." I looked up at him, "thank you." Daryl nudged my shoulder, "anything you want to talk about?" I shook my head smiling, "not really. Anything you want to talk about?" He shook his head, "just trying to keep up with your life." I laughed a little, "you sound like my parents, before the world went to shit. Acting as if I was keeping my life a big secret." He put his arm around my shoulder, "than I'm doing my job." I looked up at the sky, "I'm glad they're up there, safe, and together." Daryl raised his hand up to the sky, "me too." I nodded, "I miss them so much, I'd give up a limb to hug them one more time, even if that's all I got. But I'm happy they don't have to fight anymore." Daryl looked down at me, "that will be us one day. Except we'll still be here, just not fighting no more. I'd give a limb to make sure you got that." I smiled, "keep your limbs, I'm fine."

As the sun came up we got to the edge of the forest, where we were told the herd would be. I looked over the edge and it was empty, there was nothing here. "Damnit." Daryl yelled. Aaron started to protest, "it doesn't mean she lied, they could have moved the herd." Daryl shook his head, "you want to stand around and figure it out. It's time to find Lydia. Let's go."

I sighed, turning around and following the group back into the forest. We walked for another hour before Carol stopped, "you coming?" I asked. She shook her head, "go on I'll meet you." Daryl looked at her, "nope, we're all sticking together." I looked back at her and then across the field where Alpha was staring at us. "Shit," I whispered. Carol all of a sudden dug her heels into the ground taking off in a sprint towards Alpha.

I followed her into a cave and I was about to light a match but when I took another step I felt my feet give out from under me. I let out a yell and I felt hands reach out to catch me as I fell. "You alright?" Magna asked. I quickly pushed myself back as I realized we were on a slightly elevated rock than the herd below us. Their hands were reaching out for us, and I looked up and all around, there was no way out.

"Guys," Jerry whispered pointing up at the cliff we all just fell from. Alpha stood on top looking down at us. I could only stare up at her we were royally fucked, I looked beside me at Carol who let out a blood chilling shriek as she met eyes with Alpha.

Magna began trying to climb the rock, but her hand slipped and she fell back down. "It's too high," I whispered. A flashlight shined on another rock between the whisperers. "We can use the rocks to jump across." Daryl suggested. He took a deep breathing taking the first jump, hesitantly I stood on the edge taking my first jump next.

We all followed these moves until we had reached the other side of this cave. I stayed where I was extending my hand out to everyone who jumped across.

Jerry handed me a flashlight and I climbed up the next set of rocks leading to a deeper part of the cave. "It's good, you guys can come up." I called.