Chapter 126

I finished eating and rinsed my plate in the sink. "What am I supposed to do all day?" He shrugged, "Figure it out...." I just scoffed and he turned to me, "you can work with me. Walk around the perimeter. Keep guard. Just don't do anything stupid."

I nodded, "can you still take me to see Daryl first?" He led me out to where Daryl was staying and I lightly knocked on the door. "Hey," Daryl said inviting me in. I saw Leah in the bedroom playing around with her gun, and I looked up at Daryl. "Sorry for getting mad at you last night." He shook his head, "don't be. You're right. That wasn't my story to tell." Leah smiled at me, "you know he said those things to tell me about how strong you are as a person. I nodded, "I know."

I was about to turn and leave but Daryl stopped me, "where you going?" I pointed at the door, "Carver is waiting for me." Leah pulled open one of her drawers, "here's your gun back. Try not to shoot Carver, I know he can be an asshole." I smiled, "I'll do my best."

Carver raised his eyebrow when I met him back outside, "you got your gun back and everything." I nodded, "guess they trust me." He pulled my knife out of his pocket, "you should have this back too."

We walked out of their gates and started wandering around outside the walls. "So what happened to your family?" He asked. I shrugged, "do we really need to talk about that? They're dead that's all that matters." Carver nodded, "so why were you out there, with those people?" I sighed, "because they took me in. Why are you trying to kill them, they didn't even do anything to you guys." He turned to me, "we do what we do to survive." I continued walking focusing on the surrounding trees instead of him. "Were you one of those people, a few nights ago. Wearing the masks and giant fucking blades?" He stopped walking, "what if I was?" I scoffed, "you're fucking crazy." He grabbed my arm, "look me in the eyes and tell me you've never killed someone to protect your family." I looked away, "this wasn't the same." He nodded, "it worked out for you." I sighed, "no, it clearly didn't." He turned to me, "you know Pope is usually a lot harder on new comers." I bit my lip, "oh." He nodded, "I guess Leah and Daryl told him all he needed to know." I shrugged, "guess so." He crossed his arms, "I heard you shot your own brother and your Mom." I stopped walking, "then you heard correctly." He nodded, "how many others have you killed." I glared at him, "more than you could ever count. But I had a reason for every single one of them." He continued walking, "I heard you were a fighter. Rumour has it a cave collapsed on you." I nodded, "rumours spread fast around here." He shrugged, "we're a small community. You don't get secrets here." He looked at me again, "is it true about your finger?" I held up my pinky, "it wasn't my whole finger."

We were out here a few more hours before he turned to me, "you look pale." I scoffed, "probably because I feel like shit." We took a few more steps and he sighed, "why don't you go lay down for a bit." I bit my lip, "am I allowed to do that?" He nodded, "we've been out here long enough, someone can take over."

I followed him back home, and sat down on the couch. "Here's some water." I turned and looked in a mirror, staring at my face, it did appear whiter than normal. "Thanks," I whispered taking a small sip. "Maybe you should sleep for a bit." I sighed pushing myself up, not having the energy to shut the door behind me. "I don't usually get sick." He sat down on the edge of the bed smiling, "everyone gets sick." I raised my eyebrow, "not me." He lifted the blanket throwing it on top of me, "I can make you something. Maybe you haven't ate enough." I gave him a small nod, "maybe you're right."

"Lay down, I'll wake you up when it's done." I hesitantly did lay down, even thought I didn't want to listen to him. My eyes shut when my head hit the pillow, and I fell asleep. "Tell me you like it." I started breathing heavier. "No." I felt his hands on my neck and his fingers wrap around the neck where Benjamin's necklace laid. I screamed as I felt it get pulled off and then I tried to move  and fight back but I couldn't. I left my body, and looked down at my now lifeless body as that boy was overtop of me. "GET OFF."

"LEAH." I bolted up wrapping my hands around my neck. "Jesus what do you want?" I spat looking at Carver sitting down beside me. "You were screaming in your sleep." I realized my hands were still on my neck and took a deep breath. "Bad dream." He nodded, "you were yelling at someone to get off." I felt my neck one more time just to reassure myself. "Was it about what happened?" I looked at him and slowly nodded, "I haven't dreamed about him in a long time." He put a plate in front of me. "I can't eat right now." I watched as he set the plate down on the floor, then turned to me, "sometimes fevers give people realistic dreams." He put his hand against my forehead, "you're hot." He then smiled, "I didn't word that right." I looked away, wishing he would just leave the room. "Are you alright?" I bit my lip, "I'm fine."

I pushed my head back leaning against the wall trying to catch my breath. He pulled the blankets over him, pulling out a book. "I'm not leaving, Pope's orders." I nodded, "it was one dream, I'm fine." He scoffed, "you're still struggling to catch your breath." I almost yelled, "because it was a bad fucking dream." He shrugged, "did you know yelling is a defence mechanism when you feel scared or lost." I rolled my eyes, "you're just making shit up." He smirked, "lay down." I shrugged, "I don't think I want to sleep." He put his arm around me pulling my head onto his chest. "It's not a choice." I wanted to pull away but his shoulder was extremely comfortable. "Don't lie, you feel safe here." I bit my lip, "are you always so cocky." He pulled the blankets onto my shoulder, "don't worry I won't tell anyone you cuddled with me." I scoffed, "I thought your community didn't have secrets." He smiled, "stop fighting and sleep, you can thank me later." I closed my eyes feeling weirdly safe here. "I didn't need you here. I hope you know that." I felt his hand on my shoulder, "you keep telling yourself that." I shrugged, "don't think this is the first nightmare I've had, I can handle myself." He nodded, "isn't it nice to have someone?" I bit my lip, "no, especially when they take up so much of the bed." He scoffed, "my own bed?" I felt his hands go though my hair and I looked up so my chin met his. Something about this felt different, it felt like I wanted him to move his hand off my shoulder, to explore my body instead. I wanted more from him.