Chapter 118

We led her to Hilltop and I watched her face fall, when she saw the damage. There was at least a thousand walker bodies blocking the entrance. Carol walked with us and she turned to Maggie, "Negan was with them that night, the whisperers." Maggie scoffed, "you were the one that let him out?" Carol sighed, "Alpha needed to die." I nodded, "Carol did anything she could to make sure Alpha ended up dead. Including offering up other people's lives." Maggie put her arm on my shoulder, and I bit my lip. "You can come to Alexandria. Please do." One of her men shook his head, "with the man that killed her husband walking around free." I raised my eyebrow, "we're still working everything out." Maggie gave me a small smile, "alright."

We started walking home and Maggie looked at me. "I owe you an apology." I shook my head, "no you don't." She sighed, "yes, yes I do. I left you in a time where you needed someone. I put my hatred for Negan above everything else, and your dad died because of it." I looked down at the mention of my dad. "I acted exactly like Carol did. Grief it makes you do crazy shit. I'm really sorry Leah." I nodded, "I forgave you a long time ago." She gave me a small smile, "thank you."

When we got to back to the forest meeting spot a group prepared to go out and find Maggie's people. I stayed back, and went to Alexandria to look after Judith and RJ along with everyone else. I don't know if it was exhaustion or if I just wanted to stay in for once but I had no desire to spend more time in the woods right now.

When we got to the gates I dropped Judith's hand. The whisperers had come through here we could tell. Building were knocked down and the place was trashed.

"Cleanup starts tomorrow," Gabriel announced. I sighed looking at how much needed to be repaired.
I pushed open the door to our house and there wasn't any damage on the inside. "Come in guys," I said letting Lydia, RJ and Judith in.

"Why don't you two go upstairs and play," I suggested to Judith and RJ. They both looked at me sadly, "I'm hungry," RJ whispered. I nodded, "I'm gonna find you guys something, just go upstairs. Please." Lydia gave them me small smile, "I'll help you find food."

Someone ended up hunting down a few squirrels and I gave the three of them our share, ignoring how hungry I was myself. When it became dark outside the four of us dragged all the mattresses into one room, deciding to sleep together.

I woke up early the next morning softly shaking Lydia. "Can you watch them while I help out today?" She nodded, and I walked back to my room changing into new clothes and tying my hair back. I met the group outside and was given my own area to clean up which I appreciated. Maggie had come back with some of her people but I hadn't had a chance to meet any of them, not even Hershel.

"Need help with anything?" I turned to see Carol standing behind me. "I think I've got it covered." I answered. "Daryl told me how he really felt about me. You should say something to me, it might help." I kinda smiled, "you know Maggie did the same thing as you, she wanted Negan dead no matter who it hurt. In the end it was my dad who died, not Negan. I know you weren't thinking straight. Doesn't mean I forgive you, but I get why you did it. I'm not gonna spend the rest of my life hating you, that doesn't help anyone." She gave me genuine smiled, "thank you. I mean it." I sighed, "I saw you came back, where's Daryl?" She looked away, "he'll be back."

I smiled as I saw Maggie walk over with a little boy. "You must be Hershel." The boy gave me a small nod, and Maggie nudged him. "Remember when I told you stories about a girl named Leah?" He nodded again. "This is her." The boy met my eyes now giving me a small smile. "It's nice to meet you Hershel." He gave me a thumbs up. "We'll let you get back to work," Maggie waved and I watched as the two walked away.