Chapter 69

We did our best to keep running, but by now my eyes were blurry and my ears were still ringing. I looked over to see Carl trying to catch his breath, "I've got you." I whispered. He turned to look at me giving me a small smile, "we're gonna get there."

I looked behind me as another gate was knocked over. There's more of them. We looked back in front of us and two of them stood there holding their guns, "on the ground kids." Carl threw a smoke bomb and opened up the sewer pulling me down. "Stay quiet Leah." I peered up as the two men walked over the sewer continuing to look for us as smoke cleared.

I climbed down the sewer ladder, letting Carl lean on me until we reached the end of the tunnel, where the man Carl rescued waited for us. I gently put Carl down, sitting beside him. "How did it happen?" I whispered. Carl sighed, "I was freeing walkers spirits, I fell and one got me." I put my head in my hands letting out another cry, "this isn't real, it can't be happening." He lifted up his arm pulling me in so my face rested on his chest. "We had our last day together Leah." I shook my head, "you didn't tell me, if I would have known.." Carl sighed, "how could I tell you after everything that happened yesterday. I didn't want to have to watch you lose me." I took a deep breath, "did it happen yesterday?" He nodded, "I don't have much time. You know that." I bit my lip, "I don't know what to say Carl. You were always by my side we made every decision together. You are my best friend, how the hell am I supposed to live  with this. It's not fair to you, after everything you've been through this is how it happens." Carl squeezed my hand, "I'm going to be just fine. You're the one that has to learn to live with out me, the one that has to keep going. That's why I said everything I did last night." I nodded, and he held me tighter. "I'm not leaving until the very last second Carl." I whispered.

We heard footsteps and I kept my eyes closed as most of the people who had left in the trucks climbed down into the sewer. "You two good, who's this guy?" Daryl asked bending down to look at my face that was covered in tears. Carl sighed, "I helped him." Daryl put his hand on my shoulder and I pushed my face more into Carl so I wouldn't have to look at him. "I got bit." Daryl slowly nodded standing up, speechless. Carl shook his head, "it happened yesterday." Daryl put his hand over his mouth going complete silent I watched as he walked back to the tunnel slumping down against the side.

I brushed off more of my tears, lifting my head as I saw Dad and Michonne slowly walking towards us. I felt my eyes stinging as I desperately tried to hide back more tears. When they had finally reached us Dad looked at the man who was sitting across from Carl and I. "I brought him here... That's how it happened." Carl carefully pulled me forward so he could show Dad the bite. I turned my head away from Dad as he tried to accept what happened. I stayed curled up beside Carl listening to his staggered breathing.

"I.. I don't." Dad whispered. "How?" Carl took a deep breath, "Dad.. it's alright. It has to be. I wasn't sure if you'd be back, but just in case you know, I wanted to make sure I was able to say goodbye." Carl used his hand to lift my head and force me to look at the letters. "Leah I know you're gonna hold off reading this, but you shouldn't." I stared down at the paper as he handed the rest of them to Dad.

"I got bit." Carl whispered. "I was bringing someone back, his names Siddiq. We saw him at the gas station before. It just happened. I got bit."

"We'll get you comfortable." Dad pulled over the cot Siddiq was using pushing it up against the wall. "Leah, we need to pick him up. You need to move." I closed my eyes never wanting Carl to let go. I felt Dad bend down grabbing my arms pulling them around his neck as he picked me up and set me down on the end of the cot. He then gently scooped Carl up placing him down. I leaned over grabbing my knife and cutting off a piece of my shirt. I gently patted it around his face, then placed my hand directly on top of his.

"Is that better?" Michonne asked. Carl nodded, "that's good, thanks." I felt Carl use his arm to pull me down. "We can share a room one last time." I let myself fall down onto the cot placing my head on Carl's shoulder.