Chapter 33

"I'm going to take a walk." Carl announced. I handed him Judith, "I'm going to stay here." Soon after the two of them left was when I heard my first scream. I quickly ran behind a house pulling my gun out from my belt. I watched as a man put a machete through a women's head. My hands began to shake and I clamped my mouth thinking I was breathing to loud. Carefully I moved behind a bush, locking eyes with another man moving my way. I covered my mouth but tripped on a branch, I got up and began to run but he was on my tail now and had caught a glimpse of me, another branch had caught my leg and by now the man was standing almost overtop of me. He held a knife up above my head and I tried to roll away but he stabbed my arm. I screamed loudly gripping my arm, quickly I fumbled for my gun, holding it above my head I shot him at the same time he pushed his knife into my shoulder.

My arm was covered in blood, and I was gasping for air. My gunshot and screams drew two more men my way. I stumbled backward gripping my arm doing my best not to cry out in pain. They were laughing at me one held an axe and another held a knife. I did my best to aim the gun pulling the trigger twice. When I looked again they were both on the ground.

I then also fell to the ground scooting behind a house. I closed my fist to make sure I could still feel everything. I looked out again to see Ron standing against a tree, a man ran up behind him and I watched Ron sprint with the man chasing closely behind him. I debated helping him but I couldn't stop myself I held up my gun and fired watching the man fall down. Another bullet had reached the man before mine did. I saw Carl walk outside pleading with Ron to go inside the house. I rolled my eyes as Ron stormed off and then turned my attention towards myself.

I groaned as I tried to get up I took off my shirt cutting it into pieces and tying it around my arm. "MAGGIE." I screamed. She stopped running turning to get to me. "Help me up." She grabbed my hand, "what happened?" I pointed to Carol. "Leah, grab a gun." I held mine up, "it's here." She nodded at me, "one got you?" I looked at my arm that still had blood trailing down, "we have to go there's others." Maggie grabbed my hand pulling me with her and Carol sprinted the other way.

"I don't see any more." Maggie whispered. I took deep breaths trying to steady my vision. "Maggie," I whispered. She looked over at me, "you're losing too much blood." I knew she was right, "we don't have a doctor anymore." My mind began to blur my thoughts were racing. "I need Carl, I need to tell him.. or I need him to tell dad.. I just need them." She put both arms on my shoulders, "no listen to me Leah, you're not going to die." I had started to panic, and my legs had given out. My back hit the pavement and the sky above me started to spin and I grabbed the grass desperate for something to hold onto.

I felt myself being pulled up, "it's still Maggie Leah, Carols here we're going to get you help." I slowly nodded as I was set down on a stretcher, Denise stood over me staring down at my arm. "Take off the shirt." She instructed Tara. She gently unwrapped it taking it off of my arm and Denise gasped when she saw it. "Is it bad?" I whispered unable to look again myself. "Your going to need stitches. I don't have anything to numb you with." I stared at her, "I'm going to feel everything?" Tara grabbed my hand, "I'll be right here." I nodded, "Is there time to find Carl, I just want to make sure they're safe." Denise sent Tara off and she pushed a needle up against my skin. "Deep breath." I did as she said whimpering as the needle broke through my skin. I began sweating and my vision was blurring once again. "Try and stay with me alright." I turned towards her voice, "I can't I'm so sorry." She spoke softly trying to comfort me but once my eyes closed it wasn't possible to reopen them.

"Leah, can you hear me?" I slowly opened my eyes. "Carl." He grabbed my hand, "you're alright? How you feeling?" I tried to raise my arm, "I'm dizzy, really dizzy." He nodded, "you lost a lot of blood, Denise said you probably wouldn't wake up for a while." I took a deep breath trying to hold open my eyelids, "can you get Dad?" Carl squeezed my hand, "when you wake back up he'll be here."