Chapter 16

The next morning I was shaken awake by Carl and Liam. "Get up Leah." I shot up scared, "what's wrong what the hell is happening?" Liam was covered in blood. "Patrick... he's dead." I looked up confused. "Is this a joke?" They both shook their heads, "what happened?" Liam grabbed my hand, "it's a flu, come on." I stood up immediately seeing back spots and feeling dizzy. I tried to keep up with the two of them but they were going too fast. When we finally stopped it took a minute to catch my breath. The cell block Liam and Patrick were in was trashed there was blood and bodies. I felt sick, "Jesus." I whispered. The nausea wouldn't go away, "I just need a minute." I turned around walking away from it all.

I went back to my bed and stared at the wall angrily. We had just gotten our home back, and it had gone to shit only a few days later. The sounds of everyone crying and panicking was driving me crazy. After an hour I forced myself up ignoring the sudden pain I was feeling. As I walked past I could hear the adults discussing who needed to be quarantined. I knew I was in that block, but then my heart sunk. Liam drank from Patrick's bottle, and then Liam kissed me. I picked up my pace pushing myself to get to the guard tower. I was chocking on air by the time I got there my breathing was slowing, and just as I got to the tower I heard Daryl scream. "HEY, LEAH, DONT YOU DARE RUN FROM ME." Quickly I started to pull myself up the tower, but I felt my body giving out. I dropped falling off the side. I stood up coughing so hard blood was coming up. "Stay away from me," I whispered to him. "Nah. Nah get up." He spat. "I'm not isolating, it's all the governors people." I said.

Daryl pulled over his mask and I saw the gloves he had on. He wrapped my arm around his shoulder picking me up. "See what happens when you're not smart around other people. You did this to yourself." My knees buckled and I fell to the ground, all of a sudden my vision was getting blurry. "Where's my dad?" I asked panicked. Daryl ignored me, "I know you're mad at me, for god knows what. But just stop touching me. Find my dad." I was feeling worse then I ever had, "dad," I tried to call out, but it was weak. Daryl wrapped his arms around me carrying me up, "he's out right now, but you're gonna be okay, just stay with me." I nodded confused at his change in moods. As we were walking in I watched two ill people getting rolled out, they had obviously died. "Daryl, tell dad and Carl how much I love them."

He stopped walking, "you ain't gonna die kid, I know how strong you are. An' I'm sorry for being a dick. You're the only one I'm gonna tell this okay?" He set me down and I used the wall to keep stable. "Merle... I saw him. He was dead. A walker I had to kill him myself. It's no excuse but I was just not right in the head kid."

I wrapped my arms around him no longer able to stay upright. "I don't wanna go in there." He nodded walking forward again, Carol stood at the entrance opening the door for us. "Put her with Glenn, he'll look after her." The cell block was pitch dark and I shivered feeling nauseas. I was set down on a stretcher, Glenn was on the one beside me. Daryl squeezed my shoulder, "you'll be alright kid." I pushed him aside as I saw Liam being carried in. "Bring him here," I tried to shout. The man holding him shook his head, "he's too sick." I watched as Liam was set in the cell beside me. "Liam, can you hear me?" I asked. There was no answer. Daryl threw a blanket over me, and then left the cell.

Two hours later I rolled over throwing up once more. Glenn forced himself up, ignoring the pain he was in to come sit on my stretcher. "This is not how I want to die." I whispered sadly. He grabbed my hand shaking his head, "me either kid." I turned my head to face Liam, he was still unconscious. "Liam can you please wake up." There was no answer, but I continued to whisper. "You shouldn't have drank from his water bottle. You shouldn't have kissed me. We're gonna die because of how careless we were." Glenn looked at me sadly and I took a deep breath shutting my eyes once again.