Chapher 27

I climbed into bed turning away from Carl and facing the wall. "I'm sorry Leah," he whispered. "It's fine, just go to bed."

When the sun crept through the next morning I pulled my blankets off finding clothes to quickly throw on. Dad and Carl were sitting down and eating with Judith already. "Morning." Dad smiled standing up. I gave them a small nod, sitting down. He placed down some sort of powdered eggs in front of me, with a small portion of canned fruit. "It's good Leah." Carl smiled holding up his fork. I took a few bites, and watched Judith use her hands to shove applesauce into her mouth.

"You two have any plans to go outside the walls today?" I asked. Dad shook his head, "We're starting this already?" He got up throwing his plate in the sink and pulling over his sherif coat. "Stop fighting everything here Leah. I mean it. They're hosting a party for all of us tonight, and I expect you to be there. Dianne left a few outfits upstairs for you." I scoffed, "Sure let me just forget about everything that happened while we were outside the walls, and attend a bullshit party."

Dad glared at me, "No one is asking you to forget, I'm asking you to try this place." I pushed my plate away, "screw this place, I think I hate you right now more than I hate these walls." He rolled his eyes, "the walls that are keeping you, Carl and Judith safe?" I got up immediately leaving the house.

I saw Daryl and Glenn talking on a front porch but continued walking past them. "No hello?" Daryl called. I gave them the best smile I could fake, and a small wave. "Everything alright?" Glenn asked. I shook my head, "Does anything about this place seem alright?" I heard them answer but made my way on anyway.

Ron sat on his steps wildly waving trying to get my attention. I sighed heading towards him. "Hey." He patted the seat beside him, "I'm guessing you heard about the party?" I smiled, "Yes, are you going?" He nodded, "I am, I have an idea for us if we wanna ditch it." I was intrigued, "how about we at least make an appearance." We had agreed on that, and waved as Carl and Enid made their way over to us.

"Morning." Enid whispered sitting down. The four of us agreed to leave the party after an hour and hang out at Ron's.

I sighed standing up, "I should go shower and get ready." Carl got up with me, "me too." Ron nodded, "see you guys later."

"What do you think Ron wants to do so badly?" Carl asked. I shrugged opening our door, "I can't wait to see what outfits lovely Diane picked out for me." Carl smiled, "I'm sure they're beautiful." This made me laugh as we made our way upstairs.

"They're all dresses." I whispered turning to see Carl's reaction. He was holding back a laugh, and I examined the dresses closer. "I'm not wearing those." Carl grabbed one holding it up, "this ones my favourite it's very plain. Just like you Leah." I shook my head, "I guess you're right."

I left the room slipping the dress on, I then looked in the bathroom mirror smiling at myself. I brushed through my hair clipping half of it back. "Leah." I heard Carl yell from downstairs. I took one last glance then pulled away from the mirror. I pulled the dress down, it sat far above my knees and hugged my skin tightly. If I had ever attended any dances I imagined myself wearing something like this. The straps were thin but comfortable and held the dress up at just the right angles so I didn't feel too exposed.

"Leah what's taking so long." I made my way down the stairs seeing Maggie and Carol in the living room. "Thought I'd bring Judith home before the party," Carol said. Maggie smiled hugging me tightly, "you look gorgeous, Leah." I looked down at the dress once again, "really?" Carol laughed, "have you seen yourself?" I sighed, "I didn't mind the dress as much as I thought I might." Maggie nodded, "I used to do Beths makeup whenever she did anything with her friends, this reminds me of that." I turned to Carl, unsure of what to say. The thought of Beth hurt my heart, knowing she'd never experience this community with all of us was unfair to Maggie and anyone who knew her really.

"You can do some on me Maggie." I offered. Her eyes looked as though they lit up, "are you sure Leah?" I nodded, "I've never really worn any, I could give it a shot." Carol smiled, "I'll see you later, have fun you two."

Maggie squeezed my hand, pulling me along to her house. Glenn stood in the doorway giving us a smile as we walked up. "Out of the way Glenn, we have work to do." She sat me down on a chair, "Thanks for doing this Leah. I know you didn't really want to." I bit my lip, "Beth was like a big sister to me from the minute we stepped on the farm. She was the only one who kept me hopeful we would find you guys. I would do anything for you because I know it's also for Beth." Maggie started to tear up. "I'll always be here for you Leah, as long as I can. Losing Beth hurt everyone, but I know you and Daryl are hurting. struggling even. It wasn't your fault, and I know there's nothing you could have done." I nodded, "I'm sorry." Maggie smiled, "you don't have to be." Glenn walked in handing Maggie a bag that had some makeup thrown in. "You found some?" Maggie asked him. He nodded, "Diane helped. Who are you trying to impress Leah? Better not be that Ron guy." I smiled and Maggie shooed him away, "she's doing this for me, because she's one of the best little friends I could have." Glenn smiled, "I'll leave you to it."