Chapter 55

Dad got Carl, Michonne, Tara and Rosita to come with us. We walked together almost in complete silence until we reached Hilltops gate. "Maggie," I yelled getting her attention. She turned and began waving at us as someone below opened the gate. When it opened wide enough to reveal the Hilltop Maggie stood there in front of us all.

I ran forward jumping into her arms. "I'm alright, the baby's alright. How are you Leah?" I didn't let go squeezing her with almost all my strength, "I'm fine. I'm all good."

"Enid told me you were coming to visit. Heard you made a detour." I let go looking up at her, "I wanted to come." She smiled, "I know you did, but Carl is your brother and I would've done the same." Dad stepped forward pulling her in, "you were right from the start, we're getting ready to fight them."

"Hey kid." I heard a raspy voice yell. I turned around seeing Daryl walking with Jesus. He was still quite a distance away but I took off in a jog towards him. "You got out?" He nodded, "had to make sure Negan didn't kill your dumbass, what the hell were you thinking." I shook my head giving him a hug, "I'm glad you're out." He lifted me up, "I'm glad you're out of there too." Jesus shook his head, "you were supposed to jump off the truck Leah." I gave him a small smile, Dad followed me over and I smiled as the two of them threw their arms around each other. Daryl pulled out two guns from his back pocket, handing one to Dad and one to me. I smiled when I realized it was my gun that had been taken from me when the saviours came. Dad then turned to the group of us, "you guys ready?" We all nodded and followed him into the mansion to speak to Gregory.

Dad ripped open the door and marched right into Gregory's office, proposing the fight. Gregory shook his head, "no absolutely not. We had a deal. You promised to take out the saviours and you failed. I don't want to hear another word about this. We don't know each other." Maggie stepped forward, "we have a chance to do the right thing, we can find fighters here." Gregory scoffed, "these people are farmers. They're not going to want to fight." Tara sighed, "people step up when they have the chance to do the right thing." He rolled his eyes, "let me stop you before you break into song, besides who would train all these people." Rosita and Tara both raised their hands. Michonne nodded, "we have a problem what are we going to do to fix it?" He raised his arms, "I didn't say we had a problem, you did." Daryl scoffed, "what the hell man, you're sitting there talking out of both sides of your mouth." Gregory stood up, "I'd like to thank you for not being seen here tonight."

I let out a small laugh leaving the room with everyone else behind me. "What a blind loser," I whispered to Carl. I turned my head as the door
opened, and Enid ran in. "I have something to show you all." We followed her outside where a group of people from the hilltop were crowed. One stepped forward, "listen I owe my life to you all two times round. Enid says you can show us the way, we're ready." A few others agreed and Dad thanked them, then began pulling us towards the gate. "Wait." Jesus called. "You don't have to get back yet, I have one of their walkies it's long range, you'll know when they're coming." Dad nodded, "if we're not leaving then what are we doing?" Jesus smiled, "I think it's time I took you to meet King Ezekiel."

We loaded up in cars and Jesus informed us this community was called the kingdom. Once we had arrived I watched as two men riding horses came up to us. "Jesus, it's nice to see you, who are these people?" Jesus turned to the group of us, "this is Rick Grimes he's the leader of a community, and these are his people. We'd like to request an audience with the King."

The man jumped off his horse, "all of you get in a line, hand over your guns." Dad looked over at me, "we only have two. Hand it over Leah." I sighed slamming it into the mans hand.

As we were led into the kingdom gates I saw several buildings and large numbers of people. "Hey," a boy walked up to me holding out his hand. "Hi," I answered hesitantly. "Let me show you around." I turned to look at Dad. "I don't know.. I probably shouldn't." Dad looked around and then at Jesus, "this place safe?" Jesus nodded, "more than safe." Dad sighed,  "Go ahead. Just be safe." Daryl raised an eyebrow, "I'll be watching."

The boy smiled and pushed back his blond hair, "my names Benjamin." He held out his hand, and I accepted it turning back to smile at Dad and Daryl as they both glared our way. "So you're from a different community?" I nodded, "it's called Alexandria." He led us into some sort of garden with a bench in the middle. "Why are your people here?" I sat down looking at all the flowers, "the saviours." He looked at me, "what about them?" I sighed, "they've taken so much from us, my Dad, he's the leader of our community, we want to fight them." Benjamin nodded, "I do too." I gave him a small smile, "what have they done to you?" He shrugged, "the king doesn't tell me much." I nodded, "have you gone out there? Outside your walls?" Benjamin shook his head, "not often, I've never really had to kill one of them, a walker, what about you?" I bit my lip, not sure if I wanted to tell him everything I've done. He looked at me, "I haven't experienced it first hand, but I know what people have to do to survive out there, I'm guessing you've seen things."

"I have, people have hurt me, I've hurt people. It's just how it is." He nodded, "then why are you being so nice to me?" I shrugged, "because after being out there you can usually tell who's good and who's bad." He bit his lip, "I've been training, outside the walls a bit. Trying to get comfortable out there so I'm ready to fight." I nodded, "is your family here?" He shook his head, "my parents didn't make it. It's just me and my little brother." I met his eyes, "I'm sorry. My mom didn't make it either." Benjamin gave me a small smile, "is Rick, the leader your father?" I nodded, "yes, I have an older brother Carl he's here too. And my younger sister, she's still a baby she's at home." Benjamin looked around, "life is too short to keep secrets Leah." I laughed, "what's that supposed to mean?" Benjamin smirked, "you're really pretty. No I worded that wrong, you're the most beautiful girl I've met since the world ended." I had to bite my tongue to keep from bursting out laughing, "that was pretty cheesy." He agreed, "it sounded much better in my head." I looked around and the community again, "this place is really nice." Benjamin met my eyes, "want a tour?" I smiled, "I'd love one." He walked us through the main square and explained what all the buildings were and then showed me
his house before we ended up right where we started.

He pointed over towards our group, they were outside talking to Ezekiel. "Looks like their leaving." I stood up and he offered me his hand, we began walking over to them and I could tell by their faces no one looked impressed. "I had a good time talking to you today." He whispered. I stopped walking giving him a small smile, "me too, be careful out there." I started to walk away but he grabbed my hand last minute pulling me in, I felt his lips against mine and for once felt like this was a moment that I never wanted to end. "Goodbye Leah Grimes." I took a few steps back still smiling at him before turning and walking towards the gate.

"See ya Leah." Daryl said holding out his arms. "You're staying?" He nodded, "this is the only place they're not gonna look for me, you know that." I turned to look at Benjamin, "he's going outside the walls, training. Killing walkers with no experience. Can you help him? He wants to fight." Daryl scoffed, "I'll think about it." I smiled, "I'm going to take that as a yes. Goodbye Daryl."

Dad held out his hand waiting for me at the gate. "I saw that kiss Leah."