Chapter 56

We left the kingdom and continued driving home until we came to a road block. Cars lined the highway blocking our way. "The saviours compound is over there, they must be stopping people from coming to them." Jesus said. I pointed down at a barbed wire between two cars, "is this for walkers?" Dad bent down looking at it, "there must be a herd coming." Rosita nodded, "there's explosives on it, we need these." She gave out instructions on how to take them apart and I began slowly untangling them.

"There's the herd," Carl pointed. "Move fast everybody." Dad said. As the herd got closer Rosita stood up, "Tara, Carl get in we'll move the cars." I continued taking off the explosives until Michonne looked up, "Rick." We both noticed how close the herd had gotten. "Get in the car Michonne, when I pull my hand down we do. Leah get in." I hopped into the passenger seat of his car and watched as he reached under the steering wheel to start it. "Dad it's getting close." He sighed as he sat up, "it's good." I watched as Michonne looked over towards us and nodded. Dad pulled his hand down and they both gassed the cars, the barbed wire cut through the herd until the herd had widened. "Get out and run." I opened my door and we met at the back of the car pushing through the walkers that were closing in. Michonne cut in front of us and I was right behind Dad.

We got to their car and that's when the walkers were inches away I was trying to push Dad in and also push walkers off of me. I felt a hand grab me and pull me into the car just as the walkers were leaning down to bite me. "Did you get bit?" Carl screamed grabbing my shoulders. I shook my head trying to catch my breath. "You good?" Dad asked. I nodded, "I'm fine."

I whipped around as I heard an explosive get set off behind us, blowing up a section of the herd. "I pushed it, I pushed it Leah I'm sorry." I noticed I was on top of him and Michonne in the back seat. I looked down at my feet, "we're fine."

When Tara pulled up to Alexandria I started to get out but heard vehicles pulling up behind us. "They're here. The saviours."

I looked at their group as they walked towards us holding all their guns. "Where's Daryl?" Dad scoffed, "Negan took Daryl." Simon nodded, "but then your kids showed up and Daryl went missing. Might those two things be connected?" Dad shook his head, "they're not, we didn't know Daryl escaped until right now."

Simon smiled, "turn this place upside down if we find him he needs to die, and everyone needs to watch." I followed behind Dad as he stayed with Simon.

They walked into the pantry and I stayed on the streets. "Thanks for your co-operation Rick. Sorry for leaving the place a bit of a mess, but we have a litany of other shit to attend to. Oh and I forgot Leah is going to have to come with us, Negans orders." Dad shook his head and I stepped back as he pushed me behind him, "no, she wasn't a part of this." Simon laughed, "it don't matter, she'll be fine as long as she is a good little girl." I turned my head trying to find somewhere to run. "Don't try anything girl because I will have no trouble putting a bullet through your skull."

I looked up at Dad and he sighed, "I'll go with you, just let her stay." Simon stepped forward, "you have 10 seconds to say goodbye, then I'm pulling her out of here by her hair." My eyes began to sting and my heart was beating faster. Carl grabbed my hand, "if you're taking her, I'm coming too."

Simon scoffed, "enough of your stupid little requests, we're taking Leah and that is it. Get in the back of the truck darling." I slowly made my way into the box of his truck, turning to look at everyone begging for someone to think of something.

I watched as all the other vehicles pulled out ahead of ours. He got into the truck and began driving I put my hand on the box staring out at Dad until Alexandria faded away. When we made it to the corners close to the compound I remembered Jesus talking about blind spots. I could jump and then run, and make it the kingdom.

I slowly stood up making sure they weren't looking back here. "Don't fight it," I whispered. I quickly jumped rolling into the ground as my body slammed onto the road. I quickly pushed myself up and began sprinting towards the kingdom. The herd was still travelling the highway, I used my knife stabbing it into a walker and cutting it open. I pulled it behind a vehicle and quickly I threw the guts on top of me covering myself.

Then I pushed my way through the herd walking into the forest. Once I had cleared from the herd I took a small break in front of a tree. Eventually I pushed myself back up continuing to the kingdom. When I saw the gates I smiled to myself beginning to walk faster.