Chapter 59

We spent almost an entire week doing the exact same thing. Benjamin would make us breakfast then we'd go out together all day, talk about our lives, about our family about everything that mattered to us now and before the end of the world.

The next afternoon we came back early from the forest to grab something to eat. "Ezekiel gave me something to give to you." I looked at him while shoving a piece of bread in my mouth. "Oh yeah? What's that?" He pulled out a box which looked like it contained a ring. "You're not proposing right now are you?" He laughed, "no, this is a promise ring." I held my hand out as he slid it into my finger. "What are you promising?" He grabbed my hand, "to always be there for you. To protect you, to love you." I smiled down at the ring wrapping my arms around his neck. "And I promise to never take it off." He placed his hands on my back holding me closely.

"They're loading up." He whispered pulling away. I shrugged, "for what?" He stood up, "we're doing a drop off for the saviours." I sighed, "you have to go?" He nodded holding out his hand, "walk me to the gate." I squeezed his hand letting go when we got to where the trucks were.

"Listen, I know we haven't known each other long Leah but I know this. I really really like you, and I would right now do anything for you, I hope you're ready for what I have planned for us tonight." I rolled my eyes smiling, "I can't wait." Benjamin gently put his hand on my face, pressing his lips against mine. "See you when I get back." I laughed, "I'll be waiting right here."

Hours later I was still waiting I now had Henry sitting beside me. "Do you love my brother?" I smiled, "love is a very strong word." Henry smiled, "he's kinda like my dad, so would that make you my mom?" I almost choked from laughing, "I'm a few years younger than your brother. So no. It would make me more like a guider to you." Henry smiled, "Leah the guider."

I stood up as the trucks pulled in, meeting the king at the gates. I had Henry's hand in mine and we both began running waiting for Benjamin to step out. I stood there holding my smile until I realized the trucks were empty and Benjamin wasn't there. "Where is he?" I whispered stepping back a few steps. The king held out his hand, "Leah." I scoffed, "of course. He's dead right? The saviours?" I turned around walking away angrily brushing off stray tears. I shook my head hurrying back to Benjamin's home, with Henry chasing behind me. "Does that mean he's not coming back Leah?" I knelt down to face him, "I'm sorry Henry, he isn't coming back. But you need to remember how much he loved you, Henry you were his entire world." Henry nodded wiping away his tears. I pulled him into a hug, holding on tightly. "Come inside." I was biting down on my tongue so hard I could taste blood trying desperately to not let Henry see me cry. "Here's a bag, go pack everything you need. You're going to stay with the king tonight." Henry looked at me, "I want to stay with you." I nodded, "I know. I'll be there tomorrow. I promise." He did as I said packing a bag, I could hear his small cries from downstairs and smiled as he brought down his things. "I'm sorry Henry," I whispered. He pushed off a tear leaving for the Kings.

Once he had left I shut the door sliding down to the floor. I put my hand over my mouth wiping away my tears as they fell. I had finally gotten something so good, someone whose focus was only on me, someone who I wanted to say I loved. Something I wouldn't have let go of, but instead it was ripped from me, right out of my hands. I slammed my hand on the ground letting out a loud sob. My heart was aching I angrily wiped my face laying down on the floor. I stared at the room from this perspective trying to focus on anything but Benjamin.

I heard a loud banging on the door hours later. "Leah." It was Carol, I pressed my face against the floor trying to quiet my crying so she wouldn't think I was in here. I looked up when I heard footsteps walking from the living room to the front door. "I climbed in the window." Carol whispered. I bit my lip turning the other way to let out a sob. "Sweetheart." I shook my head, "just go away, I don't want you to see me." I felt her lay down on the floor beside me, putting her arm around my shoulder. "I want to go home." I whispered. She sighed, "I know you do. I'm sorry about Benjamin. The king told me how much he cared for you." I let out another cry. 

We sat together for a while in silence before she she broke it, "did you know he wanted to propose, but the king talked him out of it, that's why he gave you that promise ring." I closed my eyes letting out a small laugh, "I'm too young to be married." Carol agreed, "and you're too young to be on the floor crying by yourself." I felt her sit up using her arms to pull me up as well. She leaned against the door holding me in her arms. "I'm sorry you lost him." I sighed, "he distracted me from how much I missed Dad, and Carl. He made sure I was happy, and fed, and I felt safe at night. He cared so much and they just killed him. They just killed him like they always do. Carol they were going to kill me. I was lucky. Why wasn't he? Henry needed him, I needed him." She softly rocked us back and forth, "it's not fair I know that Leah."