Chapter 89

We continued walking until the sun had risen. "Who would do this?" The curly haired women, Magna, asked. Her girlfriend, Yumiko, shook her head, "its crazy." I turned to Daryl and Aaron, "do you guys think there's more of them out here?" Daryl nodded, "yeah, I do."

After a while Jesus was passed onto Yumiko and Magna, and I walked ahead beside Daryl and Michonne. "These people with us, Judith found them. She vouched for them, I vouch for them." Michonne whispered to Daryl. He looked at me and I turned my attention to my feet. "Alright." Michonne nodded, "It's going to mean a lot to Hilltop, bringing him back, and burying him." Daryl sighed, "I'm sorry I couldn't do that for you, and I'm especially sorry I couldn't do it for you Leah." Michonne looked at him, "I'm sorry I couldn't do it for all of us. Thank you for trying to find him. And for after." I knew she was referring to what happened to the three of us when we went after the children.

We had made it into a clearing where a bridge connected, I saw walkers coming towards us and grabbed my machete. "Are these the living dead or the original dead?" Eugene asked. Daryl held up his crossbow shooting one in the leg, and when it let out a scream I knew these were the people wearing skins. One smaller one held up a knife and when I ran towards it with Daryl by my side the person fell to the ground surrendering.

I took a small step forward pulling her mask off. It was a girl who looked to be only a few years younger than me. "Please... please don't kill me." Michonne glared at her, "how many." The girl shook her head, "you killed them all, it's just me now."

Michonne pushed her sword up against her throat, "I don't believe you." I slowly pulled it away from her neck, "we don't have time for this." Daryl agreed, "we'll take her with us. Come on." When we got back to our horses I quickly grabbed a shirt from a bag wrapping it tightly around her eyes, then used rope to bind her hands together. "Don't try anything," I whispered.

When we got back to the Hilltop gates I remembered Jesus who we had laying over top of one of the horses. The people of Hilltop all gathered around us, looking at their leader. Enid rushed out, putting her arms around me. "Are you alright?" I nodded, "I'm fine." I watched as Daryl carried Jesus away from the crowd and I then turned my attention to the girl. "Let's go." I pulled her down from the horse taking her into the cells. "Please don't hurt me," she whispered. I pushed her into it slamming it shut behind me, "your people killed an innocent man today, and for what? People like you deserve to hurt, and they deserve to feel pain and loss. I'm not here to protect you, because I don't care about you."

I nodded as Michonne and Tara walked down, and pointed to where I put her. "You're not staying?" Tara asked. I shook my head, "you don't need me for this." I was about to walk out but I heard my name being called from another cell. "Leah." I followed it seeing Henry behind the bars. "What did you do?" I asked coldly. He sighed, "I got into some trouble, drank a bit too much last night." I scoffed, "you were out drinking?" He nodded, "I'm sorry." I shook my head, "you're sorry for drinking, or sorry you got caught? Enjoy your night down here Henry. This is what happens when you make stupid decisions."

Enid met me at the door, "stay with Alden and I. He's out there right now, so it will be just you and I tonight. Please, I missed you." I gave her a small smile, "I hope you're making a good dinner." She nodded, "anything for you." I laughed, "I'm just going to check on Michonne."

I was on my way to find her like I said but ended up finding Daryl first. He was sitting outside the cells beside a window. "Hey." I whispered sitting down. "Henry and that girl are talking. I'm hoping she'll tell him something." I bit my lip, "she didn't tell you guys anything?" Daryl shook his head, "nothing truthful." I nodded, "what has she said so far?" Daryl sighed, "she's talking about before, when the world first went to shit."

"Your dads an asshole like mine. All you did was sneak out, is it even that hard, are there many guards?" I bit my lip knowing she was referring to Daryl as Henry's father. "Daryls not my dad, he doesn't even want to be here, he's doing it as a favour for my mom. What happened to your dad?" Lydia took a deep breath, "he was a stupid man. But my mom she kept me alive. You don't want to mess with her. Was that girl with Daryl his daughter?" I shifted trying to listen closer. "No that girl, her name is Leah. Her dad died, trying to save us all. So did her brother. And my brother, he loved her. Leah shot her own mother. People have hurt her, but she'll do anything to protect the people she loves. You don't want to mess with her either." Daryl gave me a small smile, "he's right."