Chapter 48

Dad shook his head, "please.. please don't. Please don't." Negan smiled, "Me? I ain't doing shit. Rick why don't you take your axe and cut your daughters arm off, right on that line." Negan laughed, "Ya I know your gonna have to process that. But it's fair to split it up, one kid no eye, the other no arm. She's your little girl I get it, you're going to have to process that for a second, that makes sense. Still you're going to need to do it, or all these people die. First your daughter, then Carl, then everyone back home, and then you eventually. I'll keep you breathing for a few years so you can fully understand."

Michonne lifted her head, "you don't have to do this. we understand." Negan nodded, "you understand, yeah I'm not sure Rick does. I'm gonna need a clean cut, I know this is a screwed thing to ask but like a salami slice, nothing messy clean. We got a great doctor, she'll be fine probably. Rick this needs to happen now, or I'll crush your baby girls skull myself." I looked up meeting my dads eyes as he pleaded with Negan, "It can.. it can be me. It can be me. You can do it to me. I can go with you." Negan stood up, "no, this is the only way. Rick pick up the axe." Negan pointed the bat to my face, "not making a decision is a big decision. You really want all these people to die? You will, you will see everything. Are you gonna make me count? Okay Rick, you win. I'm counting. THREE." Dad began to panick, "Please." He cried.

I turned my head closing my eyes ready to feel the axe cut through me. Daryl looked at me giving me
no expression, he opened his mouth as he was going to whisper something but he didn't. Dad was gasping for air crying, begging Negan. I began to start to struggle for air once again. "Please it can still be me. PLEASE. Don't do this." Negan shook his head, "TWO." I felt dads hand on top of mine pushing it down into the ground so I couldn't pull away. "This is it." Negan whispered. I felt tears threatening to poor out of my eyes. Dad was now screaming, I closed my eyes as he picked up the axe. "It's okay dad," I whispered, "just do it." He lifted it up, and my arm began to shake. I heard the axe fall to the ground and looked up to see Negan had ripped it from Dad.

"Rick, you answer to me, you provide for me, you belong to me. Right? SPEAK WHEN YOUR SPOKEN TO." Dad nodded, "I provide for you, I belong to you." Negan grabbed the axe, "that is the look I wanted to see. We did this together, even the dead guys on the ground, they get the spirit award for sure. So does this girl, hell was your name again?" He asked leaning down towards me. "Leah," I whispered. "Leah you were ready to lose that arm, I can just tell you and one eye joe here are some bad ass kids. Now I hope for everyone's sake that you all get it now, that you understand. Things have changed. Dwight, load him up." Negan pointed at Daryl. I closed my eyes unable to watch him get taken.

"I like him, he's got guts. But if you try something I will chop Daryl into pieces and put them on your doorstep. Or better yet I will bring him to you and have you do it for me. Welcome to a brand new beginning, keep a truck you can use it to load all the shit your gonna bring me. See you in one week until then, ta-ta."

I stayed on the ground taking deep breaths, I felt dad beside me still. I grabbed my arm making sure it was still there. Negan and his men left us here still sitting on the ground. I put my arm down trying to use my one hand to undo the belt, I watched as dad reached his hand out to help but for some reason I pulled away. "Leah," dad whispered. I kept my eyes towards the ground slowly pushing my arm towards him. He gently undid the belt laying it on the ground beside us.

I heard a grunt and turned my head to watch Maggie try to stand up. "Maggie, you need to sit down." Dad whispered standing up to help her. She shook her head, "No. You need to go get ready. To fight them." I looked over at Carl, he slowly stood up kneeling down beside me. He wrapped his arms around me pulling me up with him. "It's alright." I continued staring at Maggie, "I can make it on my own, I can't have you out here anymore, you need to go home, I need you to go back." Michonne shook her head, "Maggie we're not letting you go."

Maggie looked down at Glenn, "I'm taking him with me." I walked towards Maggie putting my hand on her shoulder. "Maggie let us help." She stood up turning around and wrapping her arms around me. "It's okay Maggie, look at me. Look at me." I could barely see her through my own tears. "I'm not leaving, I'm your family." Dad and Carl bent down to pick up his body and I pulled her head into my shoulder. "Let's go," I whispered leading her to the RV. She sat down putting her head into her hands, and I rubbed her back.

I kept my head on her shoulder the entire way home holding her hand. "We're back," I informed her, using my arm to wrap around hers. "I've got her," Michonne whispered. I let go but Maggie turned around putting her arm around me, I gave her a small smile as she was pulled away. When I got home I saw Dad on the couch, staring at the wall.

I walked over there trying to hide my tears, I sat down beside him putting my head against his shoulder letting myself be held as if I was a child again. "I'm sorry Leah," he whispered. I nodded as he pushed tears away from my eyes. "I don't want to move, I don't want you to let go, I don't want to see their faces ever again," I whispered quietly. He tightened his arms, "I'm not going to let go." I closed my eyes taking deep breaths trying to see clearly again, "I'm not leaving Leah, no ones going to hurt you here keep your eyes closed."